DNS Issue with ClamWin Portable
WanderingUser - May 26, 2012 - 4:24pm
I'm using v. 0.97.4 and it will not update the virus definitions at all. This has been going on for some time; finally I've gotten around to trying to figure it out. When I run ClamWin, it offers to update, attempts to, but produces the following result:
ClamAV update process started at Sat May 26 12:46:01 2012
Okay, so I did a bit of troubleshooting on my own. I'm using Windows XP, SP3, and do not have DNSChanger on my system according to the site associated with the FBIs effort to let everyone know who's infected. Everything else on my system works fine; the PortableApps update works without a hitch. When I ran a TraceRoute via my router on database.clamav.net that was fine. I found a thread on the ClamWin forums about another update bug, and was able to download the databases manually from a link in that thread. So I can access the server from my system. I posted over on the ClamWin formus, and others who have this version say the desktop version is working fine, so this is specific to the PortableApps version. (That's what they told me. I don't know enough to make that judgment, one way or the other...)
I am totally stumped trying to figure this out.