ormus7577 - March 6, 2007 - 1:55pm
*edit* Check out the beta test thread: http://portableapps.com/node/5577
This is my first take on portableapps applications, so don't hesitate to comment on any mistakes.
I'm working on a launcher for VisualBoy Advance (http://vba.ngemu.com/), a GPL licensed gameboy emulator. I already have parts of it working:
- directory structure adjusted to standard portableapps.com structure
Here's a list of things to do:
- VisualBoyAdvance creates a registry key: Even looking at the emulator source code, I'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure it's just some old code and it could do without as the entry doesn't hold any data. What would be the 'correct' way to handle that topic?
- check for already running instance doesn't work: I've heavily based the launcher code on the KeePass launcher code. That seems to check, if the application is already running with FindProc. The check is not working though (neither in Keepass, nor for VisualBoyAdvance), but I might just be misunderstanding the intent of that call.
- create .paf.exe: What is the format? Would be way easier to handle for users than copying the directory manually...
- handle recent files list: The Emulator keeps a list of recently opened files in the .ini, but with absolute paths. What would be the 'standard' way to deal with that?
- all data paths are reset to the (relative) defaults on every start by the launcher: Is that a good idea? The emulator overwrites the relative default paths with absolute paths when closed...
- splash screen disable: hardcoded for now, I'll do a quick splash. I can't use the portableapps.com splash screens for template, as portableapps.com is a tm, right?
Any help, comments and hints are appreciated...