I saw this great app while looking through the Vista-style apps for XP (and Win2K). It is called RocketDock. It is an app that will allow you to both dock your apps there instead of the taskbar, and make shortcuts. Here is some information:
How to make portable:
- Download RocketDock here: http://files.punklabs.com/RocketDock/RocketDock-v1.3.5.exe
- Install to the system, or your flash drive (Universal Extractor will not work)
- If you installed to the system, copy the RocketDock directory to the PortableApps directory on your flash drive.
- Run rocketdock.exe
- Click the "Settings" button on RocketDock
- Under "General," choose "Save settings in a portable INI (single user)."
- Customize to your liking, and RocketDock is portable!