PortableApps.com is proud to announce the English and German release of the PortableApps.com Suite and Platform 1.6.1. This new update includes bug fixes for showing and hiding the menu, updated and new translations and updates to all included apps to the latest version and the new PortableApps.com Format. Browse the web, check your email, chat online, listen to music, keep your passwords secure, work on documents, check your datebook and even play a few games... all on the go. And, as always, it's all open source and completely free.
The PortableApps.com Platform and the PortableApps.com Suite 1.6.1 Standard and Light Edition are available for immediate download from PortableApps.com.
Additional screenshots are
available in our Press Room
- Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition (web browser)
- Mozilla Thunderbird, Portable Edition (email)
- Mozilla Sunbird, Portable Edition (calendar/tasks)
- ClamWin Portable (antivirus)
- Pidgin Portable (instant messaging)
- Sumatra PDF Portable (PDF reader
- KeePass Password Safe Portable (passwords)
- Sudoku Portable (game)
- Mines-Perfect Portable (game)
- CoolPlayer+ Portable (audio player)
- Pnotes Portable (sticky notes)
- OpenOffice.org Portable* (office suite)
- Writer (word processor)
- Calc (spreadsheet)
- Impress (presentations)
- Base (database utility)
- Draw (drawing)
*Note: The Light Suite includes AbiWord Portable (word processor) instead of OpenOffice.org Portable.
New In PortableApps.com Platform 1.6.1
- Fix for showing and hiding the menu so it better hides in one click
- Updated translations
New In PortableApps.com Platform 1.6
The PortableApps.com Platform 1.6 release adds lots of new features including:
- Favorites / Pin to Top - If you use a lot of portable apps, you can now pin your favorite apps to the top of the menu, making everything quicker to navigate. Just right-click and check off Favorite.
- Integrated Eject - The eject button will automatically have Windows eject your device if nothing is locking it open.
- Autorun Apps - You can now have apps automatically run when the menu loads. Just right-click on an app and select Automatically Start.
- Uninstall Apps - You can now right-click on an app and select to uninstall it. It will remove the whole app directory after a confirmation/warning screen.
- Run / Run As Admin - Apps can be run or run as administrator from the right-click menu.
- Multimonitor Support - The menu's additional forms now properly appear on PCs with 2 or 4 displays
- Check Drive for Errors - Check your portable device for errors with just a click in the Options menu
- Windows 7 Taskbar - On Windows 7, the menu icon will appear on the taskbar in addition to the system tray (which is hidden by default). This can be disabled with an INI setting.
- 120dpi Support / Missing Icons Fixed - The whole menu now properly supports 120dpi in Vista and Windows 7. There will be some visual artifacting (as with nearly all apps at 120dpi) but otherwise it all works as expected.
- Transparency - You can now set the transparency of the whole menu from 0% to 90% directly from the Options menu.
- Better App Hiding - App hiding is now accomplished by right-clicking and then selecting Hide. The app is hidden instantly without the app list being reloaded as it is in 1.5.
- App Unhiding - You can unhide apps within the menu by right-clicking and selecting to Show Hidden Icons. Icons that are hidden are then show with a line through them. You can hide and unhide icons as you wish and then hide them again.
- App Load Progress Bar / Faster Menu Load - The menu will now load much faster and will then show a progress bar indicating how long it will take before it is done detecting all your apps.
- Improved Wine Support - The menu will now load a square theme on Wine and avoid the pink edges that appear. (A fix for the app icons loading without all colors is being worked on)
- Better Icon Refresh (and F5) - When refreshing the app icons, you'll get the same progress bar as when the icon first loads. You can refresh by selecting it from the Options popup menu, by right-clicking an icon in the app list and selecting Refresh or by just clicking F5.
- Hide Desktop Icons - The menu can hide the PC's desktop icons using a selection in the Options menu
- Visual Changes - The menu no longer uses bold fonts and has the start of font switching which will let it use Tahoma on Windows XP and earlier and Segoe UI on Vista and later to better fit with the rest of the interface.
- Better Multilingual Support - The Platform now supports 51 languages and has a 58 language installer making it easy for everyone to install and use.
- And more...
Installing and Upgrading
Whether installing or upgrading, with PortableApps.com, it's a snap. Just download the new PortableApps.com Suite 1.6.1 release, Standard or Light depending on your needs, and install it to your portable device's root directory. If you're upgrading, it will automatically detect your existing install. Please note that if you are using a modified version of the menu or a theme from another release, it will be replaced with the official 1.6.1 menu and theme.
The Path to 2.0
This 1.6.1 release is another step on our road to 2.0. This is the final release in the 1.6 series and the last to support Windows 95/98/Me. New app releases resume tomorrow, including release of all the apps updated in the PortableApps.com Suite.
The English Standard and Light Editions of the Suite are available from the PortableApps.com Platform / Suite homepage. The German Standard and Light Editions are available from the PortableApps.com Platform / Suite German homepage. Download it today!