THIS HAS BEEN RELEASED. THANKS FOR TESTING.
Application: PortableApps.com AppCompactor
Description: PortableApps.com AppCompactor allows you to easily compress application to decrease size on disk and increase performance when running from a slow media (like flash drives). It packages UPX and 7-Zip within an easy to use wizard allowing you to easily compress an app's EXEs, DLLs and other binaries using UPX in either NRV2E, NRV2D, LZMA or BRUTE mode as well as recompressing ZIP and JAR files to their maximum level using 7-Zip. It also has an option to DECOMPRESS an app's binary files that were previously compressed with UPX. Just select the directory and all the DLL, EXE, ZIP, JAR, IRC, PYD and BIN files within that directory will be compressed. Depending on the files, the PortableApps.com AppCompactor can decrease an app's size by 50% or more without affecting functionality. This same tool has been used on PortableApps.com's most popular apps including OpenOffice.org Portable, Pidgin Portable, GIMP Portable and more.
Download PortableApps.com AppCompactor 1.0 Pre-Release 5 [0.7MB download / 0.8MB installed]
- Don't compress NSIS launchers with CRC enabled (which they all should), they won't run
- It's often easiest to just select the AppName\App directory in a portable apps
- It's best to have the app you're compressing reside on a hard drive (at least temporarily) rather than a flash drive to improve performance and decrease writes to your flash drive
- You can disable the Welcome screen or have the console window stay by editing the settings.ini in the Data directory
- ONLY USE NRV2E for PortableApps.com Releases (including development tests and pre-releases) unless it's a small app (one exe and a dll or two) and very easy for you to test every feature and function on every Windows OS.
If you're using this on your apps for release, please mention it
This is just a quick update to fix some bugs before I switch over to the file walking procedure that hea was kind enough to write for us. The old thread is here.
1.0 Pre-Release 5 (2008-10-09): Fixes and Enhancements:
- ENHANCEMENT: Now checks for changes to directory and file counts to detect files lost or temp files left behind
- BUGFIX: Properly retains uncompressible files when directories have spaces
1.0 Pre-Release 4 (2008-04-10): Fixes and Enhancements:
- ENHANCEMENT: Now accepts path on the command line, skips welcome and prefills path to compress making it easy to drag and drop a path onto the EXE from Explorer or set it up with a Sent To in Windows
- BUGFIX: Paths with spaces now properly recompress Zips
- BUGFIX: Now recompresses Zips and Jars in the base directory selected
- OTHER: Name changed to PortableApps.com App Compactor to avoid possible trademark confusion
1.0 Pre-Release 3 (2008-03-25): BUGFIX: Now works on paths with spaces again
1.0 Pre-Release 2 (2008-03-25): Fixes and Enhancements:
- BUGFIX: ZIP/JAR recompression no longer loops on FAT32 drives
- ENHANCEMENT: UPXed files are tested to ensure they decompress (thanks Shawn!)
- ENHANCEMENT: Directory size before and after and space saved shown on finish screen
- ENHANCEMENT: Checkbox to compress another app added to final screen
- ENHANCEMENT: Console window closed by default to speed process
- ENHANCEMENT: ZIP/JAR compression set to maximum instead of Ultra to improve compatibility and runtime performance
- MISC: Spelling errors and inconsistencies fixed
1.0 Pre-Release 1 (2008-03-19): Initial Release