THIS RELEASE HAS BEEN REPLACED:
I've just posted a pre-release of the PortableApps.com Platform 1.6. I'm calling this Pre-Release 0 rather than Pre-Release 1 as it may have more rough edges than a typical pre-release we do. It also does not yet have the updated translations for the menu, backup and installer that people have been posting (which will be in Pre-Release 1). Finally, the theme switcher has been temporarily removed as I'm doing a slight retooling of it based on dragonmage's recommendation of doing sub-themes or theme variants (so you could have one theme but sub-themes within it for different colors and things like that). Otherwise, it's what we've been talking about feature-wise for the next release and then some...
What's new in 1.6:
- 120dpi Support / Missing Icons Fixed - The whole menu now properly supports 120dpi in Vista and Windows 7. There will be some visual artifacting (as with nearly all apps at 120dpi) but otherwise it all works as expected.
- Move to Top / Move to Bottom - You can now move your most-used apps to the top of the menu (similar to Pin to Start Menu in Windows) and move your least-used apps to the bottom of the menu. You'll wind up scrolling a lot less. The screenshot below shows it best.
- Better App Hiding - App hiding is now accomplished by right-clicking and then selecting Hide. The app is hidden instantly without the app list being reloaded as it is in 1.5.
- App Unhiding - You can unhide apps within the menu by right-clicking and selecting to Show Hidden Icons. Icons that are hidden are then show with a line through them. You can hide and unhide icons as you wish and then hide them again.
- Run / Run As Admin - Apps can be run or run as administrator from the right-click menu.
- App Load Progress Bar / Faster Menu Load - The menu will now load much faster and will then show a progress bar indicating how long it will take before it is done detecting all your apps.
- Uninstall Apps - You can now right-click on an app and select to uninstall it. It will remove the whole app directory after a confirmation/warning screen.
- Autorun Apps - You can now have apps automatically run when the menu loads. Just right-click on an app and select Automatically Start.
- Multimonitor Support - The menu's additional forms now properly appear on PCs with 2 or 4 displays
- Improved Wine Support - The menu will now load a square theme on Wine and avoid the pink edges that appear. (A fix for the app icons loading without all colors is being worked on)
- Better Icon Refresh (and F5) - When refreshing the app icons, you'll get the same progress bar as when the icon first loads. You can refresh by selecting it from the Options popup menu, by right-clicking an icon in the app list and selecting Refresh or by just clicking F5.
- Visual Changes - The menu no longer uses bold fonts and has the start of font switching which will let it use Tahoma on Windows XP and earlier and Segoe UI on Vista and later to better fit with the rest of the interface.
Download PortableApps.com Platform
Download PortableApps.com Platform 1.6 Pre-Release 0 [1MB download / 1.2MB installed]
I'll be posting Pre-Release 1 with the updated translations as soon as possible. We're planning on releasing this as a final version next week on either Tuesday or Wednesday. As always, the schedule is subject to change.
Please download, test and post your feedback!
Sort Issue With Options - Refresh - If you click Options - Refresh App Icons, the icons you have moved to the top or bottom may not be at the top or bottom. You can workaround this by using F5 or right-clicking on an app icon and selecting Refresh. This will be fixed in PR 1.