OK I´m going to be the more strightforward as i can. Actually it is very important to be able to secure your data (encryption) as well as hiding it, wich has in my opinion several advantages above the encryption, this is that someone who watch to your data will actually never know that "sensitive data" existed, so it can be even a more secure way to protect it. In the other hand, an encryption volume its like a shout telling that you have important data that you want to keep secret. So the simpliest question, in the first place is why to let other people know we have sensitive data? and second if they anyway discovered it or if they try to get data with hack tools, there it comes the encryption. So privacy and secure data are hand-to-hand.
Now for me this is a priority. So on i have searched throught interminable directories, lists, google searches, net of blogs, ranks , etc etc And so far I haven´t meet an app working that fits the bill.
The closest i have find is Rohos Mini Driver, but this app lacks in several aspects. Its definitely not discret, installing itself in the root of the flash drive. Also it has several usability lacks (by the time i tested it, it didnt stored its launching settings:( ) ....
I could go on with the list but what it matters now is what features are most important to the business (accordingly with its use). So here there are the features i would some day like to see.
* The basic: to hide a volume or folder with password protection and hopefully encrypted.
* To optionally display the hidden/encrypted volume as a "partition of the flash drive" for more compatibility.
* A portable and discret** launcher of the app prompoting the users password. The best would be the ability to camouflage it, giving an appearence of a text file or another user defined type file, as well as to be able to locate the launcher in a different place than the root.
* Support for fast keys in locking/hiding the volume.
* And for the last as an advanced feature, to predefine a different password from the main wich unlock differents files. This would be a kind of profile managemnt in case (kind of extremly)that you may be forced to release the password. Saving it from reveal your actual sensitive data and making believe you have actually nothing or of no concern in your protected volume.
Well i know there is a dev. in a encryption app on the fly wich is great. Also i get that there are a lot of apps to maintain and stuff to do. Anyway i hope there will be a place for this in the portable apps suite.
Wow this has been long! enough i ´m tired.. well hope you can get at least new ideas about what a complete and powerfull encrypting/hiding app may be like.
...and may i ask if something is under the hook?