This morning I upgraded from Toucan 2.2.0 to 3.0 - standard stuff, no errors or issues.
Now when I start Toucan, the splash screen appears then there is a pause after which Windows pops up a box saying "Toucan.exe has stopped working".
This is with Windows 7, 64-bit.
Have downgraded back to 2.2.0 for now. That is working OK.
Interestingly, if I do a fresh install (rather than an upgrade) of Toucan 3.0 it runs OK. Haven't fully tested it with a backup yet.
I hadn't customised 2.2.0 in any way - just created a single backup job - so I've no suggestions as to why the upgraded version fails to run.
thanks, I will try and fix this ASAP!
I upgraded to 3.0 and when I run, I get the opening splash screen for a while and then it goes away and nothing else happens. This is on an XP machine.
it work ok after a fresh install for everybody? I am afraid I am having trouble reproducing this one.
I installed on a stick that had no existing Toucan install. The program installed and ran ok. This is the same stick and same computer that I tried *updating* earlier and had the problem. Hope that this is a clue. I haven't tried any thing with the new version but will, maybe this afternoon.
When I did an upgrade from 2.1 to 3.0.2 all I get is the splash screen opening and closing and Toucan does not run.
I found that a fresh install works.
The only difference was that in the upgrade the ini files from the previous version were left intact.
I verified this by doing the following:
1. Install previous version 2.1. It works with my defined jobs etc. Then I renamed the toucan folder.
2. Fresh install of 3.0.2 and checked that it worked but without the defined jobs from version 2.1.
3. Quit Toucan, moved the 3.0.2 Data folder somewhere else then replaced the 3.0.2 Data folder with that from the previous 2.1 version.
4. Tried to run Toucan 3.0.2 and only got the splash screen opening and closing.
5. Moved the 3.0.2 Data folder back and it works again. So I recreated the jobs that were in 2.1.
Upgrading worked fine for me on WinXP SP3. All I had was the job upgrading problem but Steve has fixed this and explained how to fix it manually so it's all good. No, locking up problems or application aborting problems here.
I'd be inclined to blame your Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware solution as I still can't open up Pidgin 2.7.1 without first disabling F-Secure.
I've been having the "Toucan.exe has stopped working" issue for a while myself, currently on 3.0.2. But it wasn't high enough a priority for me to track down. I didn't even recall when it cropped up. Similar system as OP (Win7 64-bit), so I tried the uninstall-reinstall trick.
Just reporting Toucan 3.0.2 works now after the fresh install. (i.e. the upgrade issue wasn't fixed as of 3.0.2)