PortableApps.com is proud to announce the release of Mozilla Firefox®, Portable Edition 4.0 Beta 1. It's the latest beta of the upcoming 4.0 version of the Mozilla Firefox browser bundled with a PortableApps.com launcher as a portable app, so you can take your browser, bookmarks, settings and extensions on the go. This release updates Firefox to the current beta version and has an improved launcher. The 4.0 Beta 2 Minefield Portable package has also been posted which automatically downloads and configures the latest nightly build of the upcoming Beta 2 release. It's packaged in PortableApps.com Format so it can easily integrate with the PortableApps.com Suite. And, as always, it's open source and completely free.
Mozilla®, Firefox® and the Firefox logo are registered trademarks of the Mozilla Foundation and are used under license.
English Only: Mozilla Firefox 4 Beta 1 was released as English only instead of the multilingual release expected. We have corrected the descriptions and download page to indicate that.
Mozilla Firefox is a fast, full-featured web browser that's easy to use. It has lots of great features including popup-blocking, tabbed-browsing, integrated search, improved privacy features, automatic updating and more. Plus, thanks to the PortableApps.com launcher bundled in the Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on, so you can take your favorite browser along with all your favorite bookmarks and extensions with you wherever you go. Learn more about Mozilla Firefox...
New In Firefox 4.0
- Tabs are now on top by default on Windows only - OSX and Linux will be changing when the theme has been modified to support the change.
- On Windows Vista and Windows 7 the menu bar has been replaced with the Firefox button.
- You can search for and switch to already open tabs in the Smart Location Bar
- New Addons Manager and extension management API (UI will be changed before final release)
- Significant API improvements are available for JS-ctypes, a foreign function interface for extensions.
- The stop and reload buttons have been merged into a single button on Windows, Mac and Linux.
- The Bookmarks Toolbar has been replaced with a Bookmarks Button by default (you can switch it back if you'd like).
- Crash protection for Windows, Linux, and Mac when there is a crash in the Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins.
- CSS Transitions are partially supported.
- Full WebGL support is included but disabled by default at this time.
- Core Animation rendering model for plugins on Mac OS X. Plugins which also support this rendering model can now draw faster and more efficiently.
- Native support for the HD HTML5 WebM video format.
- An experimental Direct2D rendering backend is available on Windows, turned off by default.
- Web developers can use Websockets for a low complexity, low latency, bidirectional communications API.
- Web developers can update the URL field without reloading the page using HTML History APIs.
- More responsive page rendering using lazy frame construction.
- Link history lookup is done asynchronously to provide better responsiveness during pageload.
- CSS :visited selectors have been changed to block websites from being able to check a user's browsing history.
- New HTML5 parser.
- Support for more HTML5 form controls.
PortableApps.com Installer / PortableApps.com Format
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition is packaged in a PortableApps.com Installer so it will automatically detect an existing PortableApps.com installation when your drive is plugged in. And it's in PortableApps.com Format, so it automatically works with the PortableApps.com Suite including the Menu and Backup Utility.
Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition is available for immediate download from the Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition 4.0 Beta 1 homepage. Get it today!