New: DiskMon (Feb 02, 2023), Platform 24.0 (Jan 30, 2023)
450+ real apps (49GB), 1 billion downloads, Please donate.
downloaded copy not valid:
I can confirm this - I've tried repeatedly today, and updating using the latest released beta platform > Administer apps > Check for updates, I get the exact same error every time. It seems to download the app once, then does it again, then reports this error.
Am now installing using downloaded installer from here instead.
Worked for me. It might a mirror issue.
The publisher rebuilt the file, so it failed the verification check. This is by design so that after we've verified it and released it to our users if something were to happen on the publisher's server (hack, etc) our users wouldn't accidentally install malware.
I had the new file scanned for viruses, confirmed working and updated to the new file.
Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!
Maybe the same method could be used for µTorrent to avoid 'accidents' like the other day? Sounds like good security to me.
It already is. uTorrent Portable now downloads utorrent.exe from our secured download server instead of utorrent.com, that's why Rev 2 was released. The updater checks the hash of uTorrent Portable when it downloads it and uTorrent Portable and the updater both check the hash of utorrent.exe.
Thanks for the update John! Indeed that's a nice security measurement and very welcome.
so IF it's a "mirror issue", where can we change the mirror to be used ?
But your reply suggests it's not, but the published "build" is wrong.
Is there another build, that won't insist on "updating the platform" before updating/adding anything else?
Or do I have to reload "everything" ?
PS: my USB version has been unused for some time, Portableapps was very good though in handling a second Firefox installation: 3.x in full-install (compatibility with a company system) + FF6 (now 7) for all other browsing as a "portable install".
But as updating "live on the usb stick" was very slow last time, so I'd like to update on desktop, then "copy the portableapps folder" to the usb .
I just tried updating it using the PA.c Updater and installing it fresh in the PortableApps.com App Directory. Both worked exactly as expected. As stated above, the issue was that the publisher updated the build but didn't tell us. We rescanned and synced to it in September and it's been working just fine since then as it worked for me today.
I'm not sure what your issue is, as it is completely unrelated to the one mentioned in this topic. So, please start a new thread and post exactly what process you are going through and at what point you get the error. Post the exact content and wording of the error message. And include what 2 copies of Firefox has to do with this (as that has nothing to do with the original topic).
Side note: The Updater and app store are part of the platform, so they must be updated first. That way the updater can then work properly. This is by design.
At first I didn't understand why "the problem" persisted if it was fixed.
And I then, must have misunderstood your reply about "unrelated to this topic" (SIW)
But returning here - I now realize this was NOT a problem updating System Info for Windows (SIW), but the PA.c itself
My mistake for mentioning a problem in the wrong thread.
Again : sorry for your time.
I'll look for the proper thread, maybe it should be fixed, or fixable ... we are two weeks later already and much may have happened.
I will now follow the sound advice (today this makes sense to me, seeing my own error) to
"So, please start a new thread and post exactly what process you are going through and at what point you get the error. Post the exact content and wording of the error message."