NOTE: GnuCash Portable has been updated to use GnuCash 2.2.2. A new post has been created for the next phase of development: https://portableapps.com/node/10633.
I have released a new implementation of Gnucash Portable, available at http://gnucashportable.sourceforge.net. The previous implementation by IllusionofDemise did not work consistently for me and the source site has recently gone down for several weeks so I decided to rewrite it from scratch using the latest launcher for Firefox Portable as a base. All features of Gnucash 2.2.1 are supported (as far as I know) including aqbanking (if you have activeperl installed) for online banking support. I personally use Gnucash for my finances so I will definitely be active on this project in order to keep it up to date.
One thing I was not too concerned about when creating this is size, since USB drive capacities are ever increasing and prices ever decreasing. The install is just over 200MB. If there is sufficient interest in reducing this I will play with compressing the Gnucash binaries.
11/30/2007 - 0.1.5
- Fixed bug where local temp files were not being deleted after running locally.
- Added PerlPath to ini options to specify the path to the Perl binaries, needed for
online banking support. By default the path is set to 'C:\Perl\bin'.
- Reworked how PATH environment variable is used. Existing path is no longer prepended
to the Gnucash binary paths. Instead the path is overwritten with the Gnucash binary
paths and the Perl binary path. Use of the PerlPath ini option is necessary to
enable online banking support if Perl binaries are not located at C:\Perl\bin.
This fixes the following two bugs:
- Fixed bug with PATH environment variable being set to null when the existing path
contained quotes. This was causing Gnucash to fail to execute on affected systems.
- Fixed bug with PATH environment variable being truncated when the existing path is
near the maximum PATH size (1024/2048 bytes).
- Added localization strings to launcher. English only for now.
- Cosmetic changes to launcher source to reflect changes in latest PAF sources
(modelled after Firefox Portable 22.214.171.124).
11/26/2007 - 0.1.4
- Fixed bug with Win2k liborbit fix. Non-win2k OS will now no longer use the older
- Changed TMP directory to PROFILEDIRECTORY\Temp. This directory is now removed on
- Changed launcher to wait for gconfd-2.exe to exit before cleaning up since it
hangs around after gnucash-bin.exe exits and has temp files locked.
- Added environment variables check to debug log
- Updated findprocDLL to newest version. Old version was used in previous binaries
and would not properly detect running processes due to different return values.
- Updated App\AppInfo\appinfo.ini to version 0.9.8.
- Changed installer and updater to use App\AppInfo\appicon.ico as icon. Removed
installer.ico from source.
11/15/2007 - 0.1.3
- Added registry entry handling for aqbanking & gwenhywfar. These are HKLM keys,
so they require admin access. Online banking wizard should work correctly now if
you have admin rights. If you do not have admin rights Gnucash will run fine,
only some online banking features will not work.
- Changed Wait & Admin warnings to mention online banking dependencies.
- Added version check to "intelligent start". Fixes are re-applied if version has
changed since last run.
- Combined GnucashPortableSource & GnucashSource folders to a single Source folder.
- Changed program icon to one with 16, 32 & 48 sizes.
- Fixed typos in Readme.txt.
- Changed installer source to look in separate folders under "Files" for
PortableApp and App files in preparation for a separate updater.
- Added "updater" source which is basically an installer that doesn't include the
App files. This allows distribution of a 360KB update rather than a 39MB full
install when a new PAF release does not contain an updated version of the App.
- Added help.html and related files.
11/12/2007 - 0.1.2
- Added launcher status logging. On by default during beta. Log saved to EXE
directory as LauncherLog.txt
11/9/2007 - 0.1.1
- Added option to continue running when Gnucash registry entries are discovered and
user has no admin rights to disable them.
- UPXGnc.cmd script added in source directory. When complete this script will
compress all exe and dll files in the Gnucash binary directories. Currently
causes crashes as not all files have been found that don't work correctly when
compressed. This script does not run automatically, and requires an external
download of UPX.exe.
11/9/2007 - 0.1
- First beta release.
- Utilized Gnucash 2.2.1