I'm the author of a shareware application* that already supports an optional portable mode where all of the application files are stored in the same directory as the exe. The installer uses InnoSetup, and asks whether to create a normal or portable install and puts things appropriately.
I've looked through the unofficial PAF specs, and they say a specific directory structure is necessary, but it doesn't say why.
1) Are the "App" and "Other" folders necessary in general, or are they only useful to the NSIS templates? I don't need a launcher and having my main exe as D:\PortableApps\XyzPortable\Xyz.exe appears to work.
2) I'm assuming the "Data" folder is necessary to make the '"App Data" backup' option work, correct?
3) In the unofficial specs it mentions a "help.html" under "(AppName)Portable". Is that available from the menu somehow? Is there any reason why that's better than just having my chm file there?
4) Why should my app install to "(AppName)Portable" and not just "(AppName)"?
5) Is there a way to get my application listed on https://portableapps.com/apps, and if so what are the requirements?
* The forum guidelines appear to say mentioning my product by name or setting my profile homepage to my company site is against the rules, so I've left them off.