Posters frequently ask for a portable version of a certain software. Usually this is a common type of software that leaves settings or files in some part of the local PC if it is not modified.
John or one of the many frequent visitors to the forums might possibly see if that software can be modified and made portable or not.
- PLEASE search before you post - very often it will have been requested before or may even be in development. You can also search the web to see if the software already exists, is being developed or has been mentioned before.
- BEFORE Posting please check the license of the software and make sure it is BOTH free and open source. (more about this below). This no longer applies, however we still prefer open source.
- Please provide a description of the software you are requesting.
- Please provide a link to the manufacturer's or developers web site.
- PLEASE do not request the latest version of your favorite software so soon after it is released. ("Hey did you know that the alpha/beta/new version of __________ just came out a couple of hours ago? When will you have it ready on this site?") We tend to hear about updates on all of the software that we produce for this site before most people do.
Freeware vs. Open Source:
- Freeware licenses usually mean you don't have to pay for the software, some sites may charge a distribution fee , but the software itself is free. Most licenses do not allow the software to be modified at all prior to redistribution.
- Open source software usually means that the developer or author has provided the source for his software and allows users to modify and/or redistribute the software. Usually this software is also free.
Portable vs. "Just Works™"
There are quite a few applications that will definitely run from removable media: floppy, CD, portable hard drive, USB flash drive. That does not necessarily make them "portable".
"Just Works™" means:
- Settings might be retained between computers.
- May leave registry settings
- May leave files on the computer
NOT portable means:
- Program requires other programs to function or special access. OR
- Program leaves settings in the registry. OR
- Settings cannot be taken with you.
- Program must be installed
Most programs that are run on any Windows computer leave traces in the MUIcache or the Windows Prefetch area. In order to get some programs to work from a single folder or removable media most must be modified so that their settings stay within that folder or at least the single drive. This is where the license and source are important. In order for the program to be modified and made portable it must permit modifications and redistribution. And the source must be available so that programs and developers can properly modify it.
So to summarize, just because it is "free" does not mean it can be modified. Freeware, shareware, trial (etc) are not usually open source. If it is freeware, please check the license first to see if it can be redistributed and modified.
It is illegal to modify and redistribute commercial, or closed source software. We do not support or tolerate that around here.
When requesting an application, please provide the following information:
- Name of the program
- Website for the program
- License (e.g. Freeware, Open Source, GPL, etc)
- Anything else which might help
An example request is displayed below:
Program: My Example Program License: Open Source/GPL Description: An example program. Website: http://www.example.org/ Other: 5 registry entries found under HKLM\MyEx