Toucan 3.1.0 has been released by PortableApps.com. Toucan is a tool for advanced users that allows you to sync, backup and secure files on your portable device. This release has improvements in progress display, long and UNC path support in sync mode, improved rules interface, backup mirror mode and numerous other features and bug fixes. Also of note, we're looking for a new developer to take over Toucan. It's packaged in PortableApps.com Format for easy use from any portable device and integration with the PortableApps.com Platform. And it's open source and completely free.
Toucan is a small utility allowing you to synchronise, backup and secure your data with more options than the built in suite utilities. It is split up into 7 tabs, allowing you to easily find the function that you want. This version features:
- Five synchronisation modes, Copy, Mirror, Equalise, Move and Clean. These can be combined with a variety of file checks such as File Size, Modified Time and a File Header Check to minimise the amount of copying needed.
- Backup and restore in industry standard Zip, 7-Zip and GZip files, with support for complete backups, updating existing backups and differential backups, as well as restoring files from an archive. Automatic testing of created archives is also supported as is password protection.
- AES-256 encryption using ccrypt.
- A complete command line system allowing you to create new jobs and run existing ones from the command prompt or a batch file.
- A Rules system that allows you to easily exclude files based on their name, a regular expression, their modified date or file size.
- An advanced scripting system using the Lua programming language that allows complex scripts to be created, anything from a backup script that automatically uploads new backups to a script that synchronizes your files to a USB drive and then encrypts the sensitive files in case of loss.
- A large collect of in built Variables for basic functions such as the date and time or more complex variables that point to the drives label or documents directory. You can also define your own as short cuts to paths on your USB drive or your PC.
- Many other features such as support for the new Windows 7 taskbar, full drag and drop support and translations to many languages.
New In This Release
Toucan 3.1 includes a number of new features and bug fixes. Most notably are improvements to the progress display and long and UNC path support for Sync. Also included are a new and improved interface for defining Rules, a Backup Mirror mode and various bug fixes.
Developer Note, Looking For New Developer
On a more personal note, due to increased commitments over recent years I will no longer be developing Toucan. I haven't been able to spend the time work on it that it needs or deserves. If you are interested in developing it further then please leave a note in the forum, I would be happy to help get things set up. I will still be around on the forums answering questions as and when I can.
PortableApps.com Installer / PortableApps.com Format
Toucan is packaged in a PortableApps.com Installer so it will automatically detect an existing PortableApps.com installation when your drive is plugged in. And it's in PortableApps.com Format, so it automatically works with the PortableApps.com Platform including the Menu and Backup Utility.
Toucan is available for immediate download from the Toucan homepage. Get it today!