Do not use this. Use the PortableApps.com Launcher instead.
What ist it for?
It helps you to create a clean portable application. This means no traces are left on the host computer and the application doesn't (normally) have to be changed in any way. (Maybe some configuration files)
Where can I get it?
use "Save As..." in your browser.
The license and more information could be found at the end of the source.
What to do to make an application portable?
1. You install the application you want to make portable on your computer.
2. You monitor which files, folders, and registry keys are generated. (There are several helper apps for that task).
3. You insert the monitored information into the constants at the beginning.
4. Then create a correct directory structure and compile the script with NSIS. Create an launcher icon.
5. Copy your application to the appropriate APP folder and also the launcher.
6. Run the launcher.
It might happen that some applications need some additional handling, but that should be left to intermediate/advanced users as some routines would have to be added.
How does it work?
Existing Application files and folders are renamed. Registry keys saved. Then the files/folders/registry keys of the portable application are applied. Finally the Application is launched.
When the application is closed all files/folders/registry keys are saved within the data directory of the portable application and all original files/folders/registry keys are restored.
The users profile folder could redirected to the portable data directory.
Which application can I make portable?
Almost every application as far it does not implement itself too deep in the system. Also some commercial applications could get portable. But then respect the license or offer only the source to others.
What is this standalone launcher/installer thing mentioned in the history?
When I started creating this template I had in mind to create launchers especially for commercial applications. As you sure know most commercial applications do not allow to sher them with others. Now you can simply distribute your compiled launcher. It then will create the default directory structure, optionally files for PAF compatbility, copy the locally installed application into the portable apps folder and optionally compress it with UPX. Also some default files are extracted. So an end user wanting to create a portable version of his favorite commercial application doesn't have to do anything special. Simply start the launcher.
The license is a 2-clause BSD-style license. (see source for details)
What is needed?
In order to compile this script with NSIS you need the following Plugins:
Those Plugins can be found here: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Category:Plugins
Last tested with NSIS 2.46
Alternatively use NSIS portabel which comes with all needed Plugins already.
Where can I find more informations about all the possible settings/constants?
This is easy. Simply open the script with your favorite editor/reader an go to the end of the source. There is plenty of explanation and documentation. If I forgot something please tell me, so I can add it.
History (since version 2.3):
Discussion/History until version 2.3:
- added extraction/creation of several stuff to get PAF compatible portable applications
- added some error handling and messageing
- fiexd: is now also capable of reading registry files (unicode) created from regedit version 5 and up (used since WinXP Before they were deleted.
- added more options for creating a standalone launcher/installer
- changed cleanup of newadvsplash to reflect changes to newest version
- fixed some wording in docs
- fixed commandline parameters being given as one string
- added: check for required write access to registry,if not possible the launcher exits
- updated PAF compatibility (creation of appinfo.ini)
- added additional variable for long application name (for descriptions)
- Registry keys are now stored in file ".reg", e.g. TestApp.reg
- added some missing freeing of the registry DLL
- added additional input checking
- added enhancement/bug fix for VISTA as suggested (HKCU and registry)
- removed alternative directory structures so it conforms better to PAF
- fixed registry checking bug which always required admin rights
- changed cleanup when some errors occur
- added two empty functions "InitCustom" and "CleanCustom" which can be used for own settings/manipulations
- added possibility to add the portable applications directory to the PATH environment variable
- added possibility to add own directories to the PATH environment variable
Any comments/bug reports are welcome.