TeamSpeak is closed Source so no change is possible directly. Though I wanted to have it portable, so I just made a simple launcher, that just copies the settings from the own directory to the personal folder, launches TeamSpeak, waits until it is quit and then moves the files back.
A problem is, that the files on the computer are only deleted and could be restored. So in a future version I'll make a safe erase instead of just deleting them if someone needs it.
It is strongly recommended, that you make a backup of these files before trying Portable Teamspeak:
If you don't know what this means then please do not use this beta!
What you have to do:
First you have to download and install TeamSpeak (official page) normally.
Then download the PortableTeamSpeak.exe Launcher 1.1 beta (*) from here:
Put it in your TeamSpeak directory and start it. It will start TeamSpeak and do nothing as there are no config files in the same directory yet.
After you quit TeamSpeak then, the configuration files from the application settings directory will be copied and deleted there.
Now you can copy your TeamSpeak directory whereever you want and on whatever computer you want. There you just start the PortableTeamSpeak.exe and you have your settings.
- Sometimes it seems that the configuration files are gone suddenly. I was not able to reproduce this and don't have any idea why this could happen, but I plan to make automatic backups which are chained and deleted after a few successful starts. (This also helps when accidently changing settings ;-).)
I would appreciate if someone finds an reproducable issue when this happens and tells it...
- The sound settings could have to be configured manually on another computer to make TeamSpeak work there. As it is closed source I think I'll not be able to change this.
- If no TeamSpeak.exe is found in the same folder the tool just does nothing instead of reporting this problem to the user
- Simple Setup to guide the user through making backups, explaining how it works and automatically copying the neccessary files to an portable device or directory
- Better error control
- Safe erase of files copied on the computer when starting PortableTeamSpeak
- Chained Backups
- Make available some settings, for example whether the configuration files should be deleted on the computer or not
- Little Website with compact Information instead of just the download link on my webspace
- Publish source code (written in Delphi)
I'll put this Laucher under the GPL later, but at the moment it is only freeware and published only for testing purposes with the strong recommendation to make backups of your teamspeak configuration before using this tool as I didn't have the time to test it correctly (and comment the source up to now but the source will follow as soon as I find the time)...
This launcher should at least work with Windows 2000 and Windows XP of any version. Under Windows Vista or as a normal user without admin rights on 2000/XP you have to copy the TeamSpeak directory out of the programs directory before using Portable TeamSpeak as applications can't write there then.
These problems will be solved with the setup planned to make it easier as it will copy the files to a temporary writeable folder so there won't be a problem anymore.
(*) Of course it's Launcher version 1.1 and not TeamSpeak which should be the newest.