What is Open Workbench?
Open Workbench is an open source desktop scheduling application. Released in 2004, it’s a free and powerful alternative to Microsoft Project. Open Workbench contains all the functionality that project managers expect in a world-class scheduling application, including creation of complex work breakdown structures, resource assignments and leveling, etc.
What is the difference in functionality between Microsoft Project and Open Workbench?
Open Workbench and Microsoft Project have similar functionality, but Open Workbench has superior functionality in several areas that are critical for project management. For complete details on the functional similarities and differences, visit the comparison page.
What does it do?
Open Workbench is the only open source Windows-based desktop application that provides robust project management functionality – and is free to distribute throughout your entire enterprise. Here are just some of Open Workbench’s key features:
* Define projects and create associated work breakdown structures with activities, phases, tasks and milestones
* Create dependencies as finish-start, start-start, finish-finish or start-finish
* Create subprojects and link them to master projects
* Create and manage inter-project dependencies
* Associate guidelines with tasks
* Manage advanced task properties such as fixed duration, dependency lag, imposed start/end dates and charge codes
* Create, edit and delete calendars
* Schedule tasks manually or automatically using Auto Schedule
* Automatically schedule tasks forwards or backwards (the latter allowing tasks to be started as late as possible) and with or without resource constraints
* Schedule across linked master and subprojects
* Schedule to general or individualized calendars
* Define resources as people, equipment, materials or expense
* Assign resources to tasks
* Configure resources on tasks with uniform, fixed, contour, front or back loading
* Track status, percent complete and estimates to complete
* View Gantt charts (both detail and roll-up), PERT charts and the critical path
* Conduct earned value analysis
* Define, compare and reset project baseline settings
* Customise project views including column layouts, filters, sorts and rule-based formatting
* Open Source - download the source code to customize or rely on the user, developer, and partner community for support
* Seamlessly integrate with the Clarity system from Computer Associates
Why is it an essential application?
Open Workbench is essential as it is an app everyone all can use for their work, whether a a student, CEO or PA developer on a daily basis. Instead of maintaining a barrage of papers or files to keep track of your projects, have it all together in one small app, and with the help of developers, on one small USB.
I know this program has been requested before but it seems it was overlooked due to some license complications . Not being a lawyer I want to renew the app request as I think it is an essential application which when ported would be a strong candidate to be included in the PAM. The functions required are needed for people in all walks of life from students to CEOs and probably even our esteemed developers:-)
Hopefully as time has passed and the members of the PA community have encountered more software licenses, incresing experience, we have developed the skills and knowledge which prevented this app from being ported in the past. If anyone has any law background could they please go to the website (Link at top of page) and check the license to see what the complication was that has prevented the app from being ported in the past.
To all those who voiced their interest in the past for this app please do so again to illustrate that the porting of this app should be a priority.
Many, many thanks