You are here

Error messages launching OpenOffice.org

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
JKerwin
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2007-12-28 14:23
Error messages launching OpenOffice.org

Thanks for the new OO.o 3.0 offering. It's nice for PA to be in sync with the latest version. (I don't write this as a criticism; usually PA is so quick to get new versions out the door that I use it as my "alarm" to update software on my regular computers! I don't know how you do it.)

I'm getting two error messages when trying to launch OpenOffice.org 3.0:

1) "Error loading BASIC of document
file:///H:PortableApps/OpenOfficePortable/App/openoffice/Basis/share/basic/
Launcher/script.xlb/:
[I had to split that line because it wouldn't display completely on the forum preview function]
General Error,
General input/output error."

2) The second is nearly identical, but the long first line ends in "dialog.xlb/:".

After that, OO.o Writer seems to launch and save files normally.

FWIW, I'm running this from a half-empty 8 GB USB drive on a Windows Vista Home Premium laptop. If you need other information, I'll be happy to provide it.

John T. Haller
John T. Haller's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
AdminDeveloperModerator
Joined: 2005-11-28 22:21
Config Issue

From some quick searching, it seems this may be a configuration issue. Was this a new install or an upgrade? Have you tried resetting your settings (just delete the OpenOfficePortable\Data folder to reset them)?

Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!

MarkoMLM
MarkoMLM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
DeveloperTranslator
Joined: 2006-01-16 04:08
Update issue ...

... cause the Launcher script from version 2.x no longer exists.
Delete the user profile or (if You need it) delete the lines
in
Data/settings/user/basic/script.xlc
and the corresponding entry in dialog.xlc.

Paid for Software more or less?
What You need is OSS!

John T. Haller
John T. Haller's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 12 sec ago
AdminDeveloperModerator
Joined: 2005-11-28 22:21
All?

Is this going to affect all upgrades?

Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!

MarkoMLM
MarkoMLM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
DeveloperTranslator
Joined: 2006-01-16 04:08
I don't know, there was no problems with a lot of updates ...

... but there was one with an user profile used for 2.4.1 than 3 Beta2, 2.4.1 again and than 3 final.

Could be a result of the changes in the directory structure between 3 Beta1 and the final.

I'll check this on friday with a clean install of 2.4.1.

Paid for Software more or less?
What You need is OSS!

JKerwin
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2007-12-28 14:23
Solution Worked

Yes, it was an upgrade from 2.4.x. And, yes, deleting the folder you mentioned fixed the issue. It didn't take too long to recreate the basic user data & settings that I needed. Thanks for the quick help on this.

solanus
solanus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 2006-01-21 19:12
This problem is also listed on the OOO forums

I saw the same issue when playing with the OpenOffice 3 Portable pre-releases, and I found that similar errors have been reported during upgrades, even from before OO 2.0, for the non-portable version.
It seems to be related to mismatches of files that don't get correctly replaced during updates; one user seemed to think it was somewhere in the macros, another thought it was in the extensions.

I solved my problem by just deleting my OO Portable folder completely and doing a clean install.

I made this half-pony, half-monkey monster to please you.

mike.jacobson
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 2 months ago
Joined: 2008-03-21 22:06
John's Comment worked for me

I followed John's comment here and deleted the data folder. Worked a treat for me. All running fine now. Thanks for the help!

Log in or register to post comments