[Edit: This thread is old, please check for a newer one.]
OK I rearranged and rewrote lots of John's/my code in the launcher which was based off of another launcher I made and abandoned, which was based off of an unholy blending of the Firefox and 7-zip launchers. Ew! But it's all nice looking now, but lots of stuff was rearranged and moved and deleted and inserted. Because of this bugs may exist, I did my best to test the use cases I was trying to fix as well as the general use cases and expected problems my main bulk of code tried to solve.
Still I recommend keeping a backup of your profile until you've run my launcher for a bit using it as you would normally to make sure it doesn't mess anything up. Let me know if you have any problems.
Download is here: http://downloads.mzzt.net/GoogleChromePortable.paf.exe
Changes in this version (220.127.116.11):
- Updated hardcoded download locations in installer (if anyone has a better idea, especially an auto-updating static link, let me know).
- Fixed appinfo.ini version info getting out of sync, need to remember to update that. >_>
- Launcher now checks for GoogleChromePortable instead of Chrome running so local Chrome running won't affect how the launcher works.
- Compiling the launcher now requires this plugin.
- INI file reading is now more forgiving of missing entries (it will fall back to defaults for every missing entry).
- RunLocally is now OFF by default for privacy concerns, as passwords and other sensitive information could be recoverable on the local computer you run Google Chrome Portable on if RunLocally is on. Use this GoogleChomePortable.ini in the same directory as GoogleChromePortable.exe to turn it on if you want a performance boost from running the profile off of a faster local hard drive:
- When RunLocally is true, the launcher will attempt to prevent you from running it when Google Chrome Portable is copying your profile back to your portable drive in the background, which may take some time depending on the speed of your device.
- Bunch of other bug fixes relating to stuff being broken.
- Google Chrome Portable and local Chrome cannot run simultaneously unless they are both the same exact version. This cannot be fixed with the current way Google Chrome's update system works.
On a side note, today is my birthday, but I am giving a present to all of you. Happy birthday to me, enjoy my new and improved launcher!