It seems like we'd be unable to rebuild CCleaner due to the license it has, but Piriform says all their software is already portable. So all we would have to do is build a launcher for it, right? I do remember there being an issue about recompiling Skype, but we still made a launcher. So if someone could help me figure out the legal status of CCleaner, I'd more than gladly compile it (and if Piriform lets us, Defraggler and Recuva as well). For reference, here's a copy of the license. Change CCleaner to Recuva or Defraggler and you have those licenses as well.
Copyright © 2004-2009 Piriform Ltd.
Licence Agreement for CCleaner
By using or distributing this software (or any work based on the software) you shall be deemed to have accepted the terms and conditions set out below.
Piriform Limited ("Piriform") is making this software freely available on the basis that it is accepted as found and that the user checks its fitness for purpose prior to use.
This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied warranties whatsoever. In no event will the authors, partners or contributors be held liable for any damages, claims or other liabilities direct or indirect, arising from the use of this software.
Piriform will from time to time make software updates available. However, Piriform accepts no obligation to provide any support to free licence holders.
Piriform grants you a limited non-exclusive licence to use this software for any purpose, including commercial applications and redistribute it freely, subject to the following restrictions:
1. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software.
2. You must not alter the software, user licence or installer in any way.
3. This notice may not be removed or altered from any distribution.
4. You may not resell or charge for the software.
5. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, derive the source code of or modify [or create derivative work from] the program.
6. You must not use CCleaner to engage in or allow others to engage in any illegal activity.
7. You may not claim any sponsorship by, endorsement by, or affiliation with our company.
8. You acknowledge that Piriform owns the copyright and all associated intellectual property rights relating to the software.
This software licence is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and you agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
You must accept the agreement to install CCleaner.
I see two problems: clause 2, and clause 5. Clause 2, no installer changes, could prevent us from creating a launcher, couldn't it? And clause 5, no derivative works, might mean that we can't create a portable version of it. Comments welcome.
Hi Pidgeot. Just so you know narthan9222 has already kindly made a CCleaner launcher which has no issues working so far on my USB.
you can find it here - https://portableapps.com/node/12969
Those clauses mean that we cannot distribute anything other than a launcher.
What has to happen is that the end user downloads and installs the portable version normally, and the launcher just makes sure that everything is run with the right parameters / appears on the menu / stores settings in the PAF-specified place, etc.
There are definitely launchers already for CCleaner and Recuva, and I think there is one for defraggler too.