So, I was going to write a speech, and I really like using Geany for all my writing needs. However, my spelling is horrendous. (Its a confirmed fact on IRC, ask just about anybody.) So, I needed spell check. How to go about it? Well, here we go:
- Download the plugin package from here. A direct link to the package you need.
- If you have a local copy of geany, you can run the installer. Or you can use something like 7Zip to extract our the *.dll's. Look in the lib folder.
- Copy out
- If you open up the Readme.windows.txt, it will tell you where to get the enchant libraries that are needed. I downloaded enchant_1.5.0-2_win32.zip
- Extract the file.
- Copy the folder bin, lib and share to
GeanyPortable\App\Geany\. Windows will warn you about overwriting existing files in the folders. Go ahead and copy it as it won't overwrite anything because there's no other files with the same name to overwrite.
- Go to the OpenOffice website and download the English spell check plugin. Page Link
- Extract with 7Zip
- Copy out
en_US.dicto wherever you would like them. I put them in Data under dictionaries (
GeanyPortable\Data\dictionaries)so they're protected from upgrades.
- Run Geany
- Click tools, plugin manager
- Enable spellcheck. It will complain about dictionaries.
- Click preferences and set the dictionary location to where ever you installed the dictionaries. In my case,
- Celebrate. You're done.
If you try to run it right now, it will complain about not having dictionaries. Let's set those up
If you're using the installed version of Geany, these instructions will work, you just need to use a little extra thought. Mostly, change some paths around.
EDIT: I'll be updating the portable build to handle the dictionary in some method. Done