Application: John’s Background Switcher (Freeware)
Category: Graphics & Pictures
Description: (Taken from the link above):
Make your wallpaper interesting! With John's Background Switcher!
John’s Background Switcher (or JBS for short) periodically changes the background image on your computer (like every hour or every day) to something interesting. You can specify which pictures to choose from:
- Individual pictures on your computer.
- Folders containing pictures on your computer such as ‘My Pictures’. (or folders on your flash drive)
- Flickr photo sharing – selecting pictures by person, tags, sets or just plain random. You never know what you’re going to get next!
- Facebook – your friends photos on your desktop!
- Vladstudio wallpapers – choose from the coolest wallpapers on the net!
- Any Media RSS feed – choose pictures from sites like DeviantArt, Photobucket, LOLCats and Zooomr amongst many others!
- Phanfare web albums – keep up to date with your friends and family.
- smugmug photo galleries – yours, your friends, anybody’s!
- Picasa Web Albums – choose from specific albums or any search text.
- Webshots – if you’re a Webshots user, you can choose from your online or downloaded photos and collections.
- Google Image Search – get pictures from anywhere across the internet.
- Bing Image Search – not a Google fanboy? Then Bing is for you!
- Yahoo! image search – the internet is your oyster!
Download John's BackgroundSwitcher Portable Development Test 2
[2081KB download / 6.89MB installed]
Development Test 2 (2011-05-21):
- Updated to new version of JBS version 4.4
- Added language support to portable version. English, French, German, Dutch, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese-Brazilian, Japanese, Chinese (Traditional), Slovenian, Russian, Hungarian and Finnish.
- DefaultData introduced to ensure initial load of setting.xml file has correct language file and set to PortableApp Pictures folder. Other values are those included in the original default set.
- JBS now incorporated into the install package (no need for online installer). Permission obtained from the author:
"I'd certainly be interested in testing out a version so I can take a look at it and I have no problems at all with you releasing a portable version of JBS - in
fact it's much appreciated!
- New permanent hosting site.
- Minor changes to pass Development Toolkit validation.
Development Test 1 (2011-05-03): Initial release
Points to Note:
- JBS requires .NET Framework 2.0. This should be installed if you are using Vista or Win 7. XP users or earlier may need to download it (free) from Microsoft if it is not already installed. (At the moment this means that the JBS Portable cannot be made an official app)
- If you use the built-in Platform Wallpaper Switcher, you need to turn it off whilst JBS Portable is running. if you operate them both together it will create problems with image overlays.
- There is a bug where if you use the Built-in Windows Slideshow and then start JBS portable, it will not restore the slideshow on exit. I understand that this bug also affects the Platform Wallpaper Switcher too.
- Supports folders on the flash drive.
- JBS portable should restore the original background when application exits.
- If you use the settings to change the Win 7 logon background or to run at Windows Startup the required registry keys are not saved to ensure host settings are left in original state.
- Do not run with elevated rights or it will restore the desktop background from the admin user rather than the current user. Elevated rights are in any case not required for portable use.
- The initial run may take a minute or more before the background image is switched. Subsequent background changes are quicker.