There appears to be a few threads on the forums about various issues with Rednotebook. Since I have been the developer of the program since it was in developmental stage, and am in contact withe author of the program I thought perhaps making one thread to discuss issues would make sense.
Given that I have spent 3 days and nights trying to get a handle on the slow loading of Rednotebook below are my discoveries:
- Rednotebook was written for Linux in Python.
- The author of the program uses Linux
- A separate developer on his team does the porting over to Windows
- RedNotebook natively requires the following dependencies to run: Python (2.5/2.6/2.7), PyYaml (>=3.05),PyGTK, PyGObject, PyGTKSpell, PyWebkitGTK w/o Gstreamer
- The building of the exe file is accomplished with py2exe
Given the above fact I surmise that much of the issue may be in the build process of the application to port it to windows. Since it runs without a glitch in Ubuntu. Now I am the first to admit I know nothing about Python, and just a little more about compiling it. I would love to compile my own build to see if it makes an difference at all? Or would appreciate if someone would be willing to build it for me the directions for building are here. Just would not need the install with INNOsetup. The py2exe build bat is here and the Current Source Code here. For directions on how to intall it please look here.
If I can get this done or someone can do it for me then I can figure if the issue is in the port to Windows, or in the building of the exe file with saving of the dependencies.
Anyway that is what I have now.