Category: Graphics & Pictures
Description: From the publisher's website:
Asymptote is a powerful descriptive vector graphics language that provides a natural coordinate-based framework for technical drawing. Labels and equations are typeset with LaTeX, for high-quality PostScript output.
A major advantage of Asymptote over other graphics packages is that it is a programming language, as opposed to just a graphics program.
Features of Asymptote:
- provides a portable standard for typesetting mathematical figures, just as TeX/LaTeX has become the standard for typesetting equations;
- generates high-quality PostScript, PDF, SVG, or 3D PRC vector graphics;
- embeds 3D vector PRC graphics within PDF files;
- inspired by MetaPost, with a much cleaner, powerful C++-like programming syntax and IEEE floating-point numerics;
- runs on all major platforms (UNIX, MacOS, Microsoft Windows);
- mathematically oriented (e.g. rotation of vectors by complex multiplication);
- LaTeX typesetting of labels (for document consistency);
- uses simplex method and deferred drawing to solve overall size constraint issues between fixed-sized objects (labels and arrowheads) and objects that should scale with figure size;
- fully generalizes MetaPost path construction algorithms to three dimensions;
- compiles commands into virtual machine code for speed without sacrificing portability;
- high-level graphics commands are implemented in the Asymptote language itself, allowing them to be easily tailored to specific applications.
Download Asymptote Portable 2.38 Dev Test 1 (5.49MB download / 29.9MB installed)
Note: All releases rely on the following programs:
Note: Previous versions of this application also included the xasy GUI for Asymptote as an optional install for standalone usage. It is distributed with normal installations as pure Python code but has been converted using py2exe with a dependency on Python Imaging Library (PIL) in order for portable use. No code was changed in the compiled xasy and the source Python files have been removed.
Optional: For programs who reference Asymptote externally: calling AsymptotePortable.exe will deal with the necessary configuration files along with calling the commandline-only asy.exe.
See all release notes at the SourceForge project page