Certainly, the problem described below has nothing to do with the portability of the app. But maybe someone has a plausible explanation. In the past I have already several times tried in vain to download Youtube videos with VLC-Player. First, I copy the web address of the YouTube video in the Windows clipboard. Then I click in the VLC-Player on Media> Convert / Save ...Then I switch to the "Network" tab and add the web address with Ctrl + V. Then I go to the "Convert / Save". In profile I activate "video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)" and finally I click on the "Browse" button, where the final video to be stored. With the button "Start" the process will activated. But nevertheless the download is not carried out in many cases.
Meanwhile I found a solution for my problem. After copying the web address in the Windows clipboard I go to "Media > Open location from clipboard" in VLC-Player. In the new opened Window I choose the button "Play". Afterwards I switch to "View > Playlist".With a rightclick on the displayed name of the video will opened a context menu. In this context menu must be chosen the entry "Save...". In the opened new window must be chosen the button "Browse", where now was determined the storage of the video. This method seems to work better.