I'm currently unable to backup my USB drive to my home PC. Since I've been having issues where the backup seems to just hang, I had tried selecting a subset of the files on my USB, i.e. just the PortableApps folder (granted, it's fairly big considering all of the email stored in Thunderbird). According to the log, the job ran for 6:03 minutes. The last lines that appear in the log, prior to the time elapsed, are:
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid.
The conditions are:
PC OS is Windows 10
C: drive to which backup is being done has plenty of free space.
No other PortableApps apps are being run at the time.
Toucan version is 3.1.4
The backup works fine when I use it on my work PC. Any ideas as to what this error means, and how to fix it?
That sounds like an outside-induced error Toucan gets while executing the copy operation. Is that a Sync or Backup? How your work PC is different from your home one in terms of OS? I haven't extensively tried it on Windows 10, so maybe there's something special about what it does. Or maybe that's an antivirus kicking in? Has it ever worked on your home PC?
The operation was a Backup as opposed to a Sync. My home PC runs Windows 10, while my work PC is Windows 7. I've successfully backed up a single folder once on my home PC using Toucan, but I haven't yet succeeded with backing up either the entire USB drive or the entire PortableApps application folder/subfolders. I haven't yet tried turning off the antivirus (Avast), but I'll give that a shot as soon as I get a chance (probably tomorrow, 19-Oct-2016).
Okay, I tried disabling my anti-virus and running another Toucan backup. I still got the error:
The volume for a file has been externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid."
The error appears near the very end of the log, after numerous messages about which source file is being compressed. It is followed by a 7-Zip copyright statement, and following that is the brief message "cannot find archive". Finally, the last message notes that 31:08 minutes has elapsed.
I tried using a different backup program called SyncBack which worked like a charm. Of course, having a fondness for the portable app paradigm, I'd prefer to use Toucan. I just hope that mentioning the success of SyncBack will suggest that there is not something instrinsically f'ed up with my home PC.
Looks like I missed updates from this thread - this forum platform is quite inconvenient to use. If this is still actual - please feel free to create an issue on on Github, where the development is taking place these days: https://github.com/portableapps/toucan/issues. It may be something related to Windows 10, I haven't personally run it on that Win version yet (only 7 and 8.1 among machines i use), so theoretically there might be some surprises.