This has happened once before, probably around a year or two ago. I would accept an update via PortableApps and after what appears to be a successful download and update, I went to launch Chrome and it would fail.
Further research into the cause revealed that my user account (a local admin) no longer has read access to the chrome-bin folder. I store my PortableApps folder structure within my user profile's "Documents" folder. This account, like all default user accounts, has full read/write perms to their profile's "Documents" folder.
I then noticed temporary 7zip ('7zTemp') & ~PRESERVEDIRECTORY2 folders within my Chrome folder. After reviewing the hierarchical permissions and seeing nothing was improper, I determined it was a corrupt install.
I was thankfully able to workaround the problem by:
- Reboot my laptop, due to file locks that couldn't be located
- Renamed the original 'GoogleChromePortable' folder to 'GoogleChromePortable2'
- Download Chrome via the PortableApps menu
- Upon successful download & install, I opened both folders and copied my old 'GoogleChromePortable2/Data/profile' folder to 'GoogleChromePortable/Data' location
- Started Chrome and profit
- Deleted 'GoogleChromePortable2' folder
Wanted to report the issue, even though there likely isn't much to be done about it. It's a rather rare occurrence.