To search files, I always used windows explorer but it was slow, sometimes it did not return all the expected results, and it uses lots of RAM.
I tried some freeware non-indexing searchers but some were slow, and others did not have all the features I wanted.
So since I develop some application in my work I decided to create my own portable program: CSearcher.
CSearcher is a simple & fast free non-indexing search program.
Since I’ve been using it I gave it to some colleagues at work and they gave me same good feedback.
I then decided to clean and polish the program and publish it as freeware! To contribute back.
No installation required, everything runs from its folder, just copy it anywhere.
• Results can be Files AND/OR directories!
• Windows native DLL calls for better performance.
• Portable tool, you can install it in any folder.
• One of the fastest non-indexing free File searchers.
• Low RAM usage.
• Integration with Explorer menu for seamless search of folders.
• Exclude patterns.
• Date and size options.
• Find files that contain specific text.
• Calculate MD5 and compare files. Allows users to generate the file checksum (MD5 Hash)
• Simple Hex Viewer of any file.
• Search history.
o Filter results. After finding all the results you want, you can dynamically filter results for faster finding of different items.
o Filter possible duplicate file (same name and size), can be confirmed with md5.
• Export selected results to CSV or HTML file.
• .Net 4.0 runtime installed and Windows compatible O.S.
• http://www.informan.pt/csearcher/CSearcher_126.96.36.199.7z Compressed archive.
• http://www.informan.pt/csearcher/CSearcher_188.8.131.52.exe Self-Extracting file.
I know it can be improved but I would like some comments and opinions.
Would it have a place in portableapps?