After the initial run of Chrome Portable, once you configure any setting such as the startup page and close the browser, you can no longer move or rename the Chrome Portable folder without it crashing on startup. When it crashes, it shows a dark page background and a frowny face tab icon.
- Install the latest version of Chrome Portable 56.0.2924.87.
- Run Chrome Portable.
- Set the startup page to https://www.google.com.
- Close Chrome Portable.
- Move or rename the Chrome Portable folder (you may need to kill GoogleChromePortable.exe).
- Run Chrome Portable again.
- Try to load any page such as https://www.google.com and it should now be in a crashed state with a dark background and frowny tab icon.
Reproduced this on multiple Windows 10 computers. I have an older installed version of Chrome Portable 53.0.2785.101 from back in 2016-09 that doesn't crash when you move or rename the folder.
Any ideas on how to fix? Tried various ini settings and command-line parameters with no success. Thanks for any info.