About: GNU Backgammon is software for playing and analysing backgammon positions, games, and matches.
GNU_Backgammon_Portable_0.15-PRERELEASE2.paf.exe (internal build for alpha testers...never publicly released)
Installed Size: 22.5MB
Ryan McCue for being the sole alpha tester (besides me 'natch :)) and letting me know I needed to move the config files into the \Data dir for backup purposes to conform to the PAF standard.
- The default board is U-G-L-Y! Why they picked that as the default I'll never know. To spruce the look up, do "Settings" -> "Appearance" -> "General" and change to a 3d board. On the "Designs" tab try "Irish Gold" or "Wood 1" for a better-looking board. Remember to do "Settings" -> "Save Settings" so your config is saved for next time. You'll need to do this if you make any changes under the "Settings" tab (changes are not auto-saved). Stick with a 2d board if your machine can't handle the 3d graphics.
- GNU Backgammon "quirk": If you extract the app out to the usual path of .\PortableApps\ or to a path with no spaces in it you won't see the quirk. If you extract the app to a path that has a space in it, you'll receive a dialog box notifying you the application saved the config files out to the correct directory. Just hit "yes" on the dialog box. This quirk is internal to GNU Backgammon and has nothing to do with making it portable.
- The default level for the game "out of the box" is "Expert". You may want to dumb that down. Do that under "Settings" -> "Players"
- The program files were UPXed from 33MB down to 22MB...a nice space saver! (used NRV2E)
- Use the links in the help.html file in the root dir of the portable app if you need help with GNU Backgammon or playing backgammon in general.
- Replace temp splash with a *real* splash screen (no comments from the peanut gallery about the current splash. My MSPaint skillz > yours :D)
- Replace the NSIS arrow.bmp used to fill in for wizard.bmp - this should happen when John releases the "community helper pack" (the name I just made up for it...not the official name)