Many of the most common issues that arise when using Sudoku Portable are addressed here. Please read through the various topics to see if any of them address your question. If your issue is not addressed here, you can post a question in the Sudoku Portable Support Forum.
Sudoku Portable-Specific Issues
- Installing Sudoku Portable
- Using Sudoku Portable
- Upgrading Sudoku Portable
- Running from a CD (Sudoku Portable Live)
- Known Issues
- Modifications - A list of the modifications made to Sudoku in this package
- Version History
General Sudoku Issues
The main Sudoku page has some more background on the application itself.
Installing Sudoku PortableTo install Sudoku Portable, just download the portable package at the top of the Sudoku Portable page and then double-click it. Select the location you wish to install to and click OK. A SudokuPortable directory will be created there and all the necessary files installed. That's all there is to it.
Using Sudoku Portable
To start up Sudoku Portable, just double-click SudokuPortable.exe file where you installed Portable Sudoku on your portable drive. Then, use it just like you would a local copy of Sudoku. There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Stay Safe - When using portable apps, it's always a good idea to practice Safe Portable App-ing.
- Removing Your Drive - When you're done, exit Sudoku and then wait for the activity light on your removable drive to stop flashing. Then select the 'Safely remove [device]' option from the icon in the system tray. If you remove the drive while it is writing, you may lose data.
Upgrading Sudoku Portable
To upgrade to a newer version of Sudoku Portable, just download a new copy and extract it right over the old one.
Running from a CD (Sudoku Portable Live)
Support for running from a CD is built into Sudoku Portable. Just extract it to a local drive and run it at least once to generate a set of default settings. Next, make any configuration changes you'd like. Finally, burn the whole SudokuPortable directory to CD being sure not to change the locations of any files.
There are no known issues.
I made some modifications to the default version of Sudoku to make it more USB key friendly (decreasing total install size and the number of writes to the drive, which will increase drive life). These changes are listed here so you'll know what they are, and so you can recreate the process, if so desired.
- Friendly Launcher - Sudoku Portable launcher is included.
- EXEs and DLLs Compressed - All EXEs and DLLs were recompressed using UPX. This gets our installed size down to one that is a bit more manageable. The options used were: --best --compress-icons=0 --nrv2d --crp-ms=999999 -k
- PREF Code - The preferences handler within Sudoku/FLTK was modified to use the Windows environment variable instead of the registry.
- 1.1.7 - August 22, 2006
- Fixed a bug allowing editing of read-only sqaures
- 1.1 - August 21, 2006
- First general release
- 1.1 Pre-Release - August 17, 2006
- Initial Pre-Release