Description: FrostWire Portable is the Frostwire peer-to-peer (P2P) filesharing application packaged as a Portable App, so you can take your filesharing with you. Frostwire is written in Java and includes gnutella, bittorrent, and similar capabilities. And, as with all PortableApps.com apps, it leaves no personal information behind on the machine you run it on.
Download: FrostWire Portable 4.17.2 Development Test 1 [7.8MB download / 33.7MB installed] (MD5: 9884e00bfafbc66b27ddf48ac8c5126a) Past downloads: 434 License: GPL
- This is a java app. Use of the Java Portablizer is recommended.
- It looks like it puts its settings into the Data directory tree, but that's one thing to check during beta testing.
- The launcher creates Shared and Downloads under Data, if you'd like to use them (change them if you like).
- The launcher updates the properties file that points to the downloads and shared directory, if you move your drive and the drive letter changes (assuming you put your downloads and shared on your USB drive).
- If you are updating from a previous beta, please remove all directories (after saving any downloads) and reinstall from scratch.
- When first installed, the app currently asks for a chat room nick; please supply something there, even if you never expect to use the chat features.
- 128 MB of RAM (256 MB Recommended)
- Windows Vista, XP, 2000, NT
- Java 1.5 or later (1.6 Recommended)
- An active internet connection
4.17.2 Development Test 1 (2009-01-02):
- It looks like it doesn't ask for a chat room nym in the current version, but please do go and enter something for it on the options page.
- Sorry, I haven't taken the time to bring it up to the latest PA Platform installer and launcher standards. If the beta team were to take an interest in this project, I would make that a higher priority. As it stands, it seems to work pretty well.
4.17 Development Test 1 (2008-07-13)
- Because it is quite a bit different, I've started it back at Dev Test 1
- Uses PortableApps.com installer 0.9.9.5
- Uses PortableApps.com launcher 188.8.131.52
- Includes support for the PortableApps.comLocaleglibc environment variable
- Frostwire has separate ways to indicate language and country, so I had to come up with a way to separate "en_GB" into a language variable and a country variable using NSIS -- might be something someone else could use
- I left the "country flag" icon showing up on the status line, not because I'm super-patriotic or something, but so non-English speakers might have an easier time figuring out how to switch languages (click on the flag to get the language picker)
- In this version the developers included a bunch of upgraded stuff from the Limewire repository, and neglected to rename all the Limewire variables to Frostwire. The launcher now sets up both (the program only notices the one it is looking for) in case a future version reverts to using the Frostwire name for the variable. (LIMEWIRE_PREFS_DIR vs FROSTWIRE_PREFS_DIR)
4.13 Development Test 1 (2008-03-23)
- made recommended changes (I think)