License: GNU GPL
Description: calibre Portable is the popular calibre packaged with a PortableApps.com Launcher as a portable app, so you can take your ebook manager with you. It has all the same great features as calibre including library management, format conversion, syncing to ebook reader devices, fetching news from the web & converting it into ebook form, viewing many different ebook formats, giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser/email client & more.
Download calibre Portable Launcher Dev Test 1 [1+46MB download / 142MB installed]
Download the latest version from here (Download calibre portable).
- Put the file in your calibrePortable folder next to calibrePortable.exe.
- Run calibre Portable. IMPORTANT: When you're prompted to "Launch calibre?", select No.
- Run the file & browse to your calibrePortable folder (this will not leave anything behind on the host system). IMPORTANT: When the process finishes & you're prompted to "Launch calibre?", select No.
- Run calibre Portable.
Launcher Dev Test 1 (2013-08-19):
- As it's out of date almost as soon as I've uploaded it, package is converted to 'launcher only'.
- calibre adds a new folder (%LOCALAPPDATA%\calibre-cache). Launcher upgraded.
- Added a new update method.
- Help file updated with new update method.
0.9.16 Dev Test 1 (2013-01-27):
- calibre updated to 0.9.16.
- Upgrades will write correct version to appinfo.ini.
- Updated path replacement & splash.
0.8.70 Dev Test 1 (2012-09-23):
- calibre updated to 0.8.70.
- Removed online installer.
- Added custom update code.
0.8.xx Dev Test 4 (2012-07-12):
- fontconfig is now saved to Data\settings to alleviate this situation when running multiple times from the same system. Thanks to hnzw.rui.
- Launcher compiled with PAL 2.2.
- Regshot tested clean with calibre 0.8.59.
0.8.xx Dev Test 3 (2012-04-18):
- Launcher updated to handle Qt 4.8.
- Added 256 x 256 to appicon.ico.
- PAF/PAI 3.0 etc...
0.8.xx Dev Test 2 (2011-11-01):
0.8.xx Dev Test 1 (2011-08-15):
- Converted to online installer.
- PAL updated to 2.1.1.
0.8.13 Dev Test 1 (2011-08-05):
- calibre updated to 0.8.13.
0.8.12 Dev Test 1 (2011-07-30):
- calibre updated to 0.8.12.
0.8.11 Dev Test 1 (2011-07-22):
- calibre updated to 0.8.11.
0.8.10 Dev Test 1 (2011-07-16):
- calibre updated to 0.8.10.
- Improved language switching.
0.8.9 Dev Test 1 (2011-07-09):
- calibre updated to 0.8.9.
0.8.8 Dev Test 1 (2011-07-01):
- calibre updated to 0.8.8.
0.8.7 Dev Test 1 (2011-06-28):
- calibre updated to 0.8.7.
- Converted to PAL 2.1.
- Library directory now configured through the GUI.
- Microsoft VC90 CRT now included with calibre. Support removed (untested).
- Clean install recommended.
0.8.2 Dev Test 1 (2011-05-21):
- calibre updated to 0.8.2.
0.7.56 Dev Test 1 (2011-04-19):
- calibre updated to 0.7.56.
0.7.54 Dev Test 1 (2011-04-11):
- calibre updated to 0.7.54.
- Added backup of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KovidsBrain" (created by going to 'Preferences/Advanced/Tweaks'). I couldn't get anything to appear in there but it's backed up anyway.
0.7.49 Dev Test 1 (2011-03-15):
- calibre updated to 0.7.49.
0.7.28 Dev Test 1 (2010-10-21):
- calibre updated to 0.7.28.
- Launcher updated to handle Qt 4.7.
0.7.19 Dev Test 1 (2010-09-22):
- calibre updated to 0.7.19.
0.7.17 Dev Test 1 (2010-09-05):
- calibre updated to 0.7.17.
0.7.15 Dev Test 1 (2010-08-27):
- calibre updated to 0.7.15.
- Various drive switching improvements.
- Added support for the library being on another drive (see help.html).
0.7.13 Dev Test 1 (2010-08-11):
- calibre updated to 0.7.13.
0.7.8 Dev Test 1 (2010-07-16):
- calibre updated to 0.7.8.
0.7.7 Dev Test 1 (2010-07-08):
- calibre updated to 0.7.7.
- Added Persian language support.
- Added CheckForPlatformSplashDisable (not tested yet).
0.7.0 Dev Test 1 (2010-06-07):
- calibre updated to 0.7.0.
- Added new calibre icon (& appicon_128.png).
- Added Indonesian, Thai & Vietnamese language support.
- Added check for MSVC x86 9.0.3729.4148.
0.6.44 Dev Test 1 (2010-03-08):
- calibre updated to 0.6.44.
- Added Lithuanian & Serbian language support.
0.6.42 Dev Test 1 (2010-02-21):
- calibre updated to 0.6.42.
- Added Malayan language support to launcher & installer.
0.6.36 Dev Test 2 (2010-01-28):
- Improved checks for MSVC & MSVC SP1. Thanks to xuesheng.
- calibre Portable will remove any files leftover in the root directory of your system drive from a MSVC installation.
0.6.36 Dev Test 1 (2010-01-27):
- calibre updated to 0.6.36.
- Added check for MSVC SP1, although if neither are found, the original (pre SP1) version will still be installed.
- Corrected non-admin error message.
0.6.34 Dev Test 1 (2010-01-16):
- calibre updated to 0.6.34.
- App directory name has changed. If you're upgrading & use "calibrePortable.ini" to redirect the library, make sure the "calibreDirectory" entry = "App\calibre".
- Added Albanian, Basque & Turkish language support.
- Trolltech Qt Factory Cache is now 4.6.
0.6.23 Dev Test 1 (2009-11-14):
- If you haven't upgraded from calibre Portable 0.6.16 yet, please read the notes for 0.6.21 as they apply to all new releases until further notice.
- I have dropped the Data directory restructuring code from the installer. If you're upgrading from 0.6.8 Dev Test 1, a clean install is now required.
- The code that creates the settings & library directories has been reworked & both are now configurable on first run.
- There is now a 'usertype check' in the launcher. If MSVC is not on the system & you aren't logged in as admin (ie: don't have the rights to install it), calibre Portable will warn you & then quit gracefully.
- calibre updated to 0.6.23. No issues.
- I wasn't quick enough for 0.6.22!
0.6.21 Dev Test 1 (2009-11-13):
- calibre 0.6.21 requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. The redist is included in this package (which is *not* an online installer). The launcher will check to see if it's on the local system. If not, you'll be asked to install it &, on exit, it'll be uninstalled. Just follow the prompts. Requires admin rights.
- As the MSVC installer creates a mess all of it's own, the launcher cleans up after it.
- As a program (MSVC) has been installed (& hopefully uninstalled!), you may find a couple of registry entries related to the MS Installer. I'm considering this "fair use" (same as MUI Cache, Prefetch etc.)
- If you're using "calibrePortable.ini" in the calibrePortable main directory (to redirect the library) the installer will detect it & change the "calibreDirectory" entry to "App\Calibre2". I could have left the directory name as it was but wanted to keep it in sync with the app.
- New files in $TEMP - cal*.tmp. Deleted on exit.
- Languages added since 0.6.16 -
- That's all, folks!
0.6.16 Dev Test 1 (2009-10-07):
- calibre updated to 0.6.16. No issues.
0.6.12 Dev Test 1 (2009-09-17):
- calibre updated to 0.6.12.
- Automatic language switching is now working (see install notes).
0.6.11 Dev Test 1 (2009-09-08):
- calibre updated to 0.6.11. No issues.
0.6.10 Dev Test 1 (2009-08-29):
- calibre updated to 0.6.10.
- Launcher now backs up the default local library directory as the location has changed since 0.6.8.
0.6.8 Dev Test 2 (2009-08-26):
- Configurable path to your library via "calibrePortable.ini".
(See "Other\Source\Readme.txt" for instructions).
- Added another Qt registry key that was missed in Dev Test 1.
- Restructured Data directory.
0.6.8 Dev Test 1 (2009-08-23): Initial release
Due to the nature of Qt's use of the registry, if you use any of the apps below at the same time as calibre Portable & don't close them in reverse order, registry keys will be left behind and/or the original (local) keys will be overwritten. To avoid issues, never use them together!
- ConvertAll Portable
- FreeMat Portable
- MuseScore Portable
(Thanks Bart S.)
XP Home SP3 (Admin)
Info here, here & here.