New Platform 12.0.5. Download or Buy on Drive
Over 300 free and legal portable apps including Xonotic (Mar 1, 2015) needs your help: Please donate today

ClamWinPortableDBUpdate.exe cannot write to db folder

w nightshade - July 6, 2010 - 7:17am
Share on Facebook

I am running ClamWinPortableDBUpdate.exe v0.3.3, and when I do I get the following error:

ERROR: Can't create temporary directory ..\ClamWinPortable\Data\db\clamav-e30037
Hint: The database directory must be writable for UID 0 or GID 0

as far as I can tell, the directory is writable, and if I do a manual update from the ClamWin GUI itself, it works fine.

Can anyone provide any insight? I find the updater VERY useful, and would hate to go back to manually running updates if I don't absolutely have to.

Many thanks for your help.

( categories: )

Relative Paths

ClamWin no longer supports relative paths, which it would seem the DB update tool is trying to use.

Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!

so what would the solution be

so what would the solution be then just out of curiosity?

Updater Code

The ClamWinDBUpdater needs to be updated to supply full paths to ClamWin's updater.

Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!

best solution

remove it Smiling

               Signatures is for idiots Puzzled


not that useful.

Fix imminent


Thanks for the heads up. I am currently testing a fix and expect to release it later today or tomorrow.



Its good to hear you're still working on it Smiling

"What about Love?" - "Overrated. Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate." - Al Pacino in The Devils Advocate


You can download an updated version of ClamWinPortableDBUpdate from or that works with ClamWin Portable 0.96.1 on my XP system. The new version is v0.3.4.

I'm not really a Windows user anymore (power to the penguin!) so I'm not in a great position to test the app in Vista or Win7. However if you have problems with either of those, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Server down

The network infrastructure where my server is located has been taken ill. If the medics don't have the problem sorted in the next several hours, I'll be move the site. Sorry about any inconvenience.


oh no!


good luck!

Server moved

I've moved the ClamWinPortableDBUpdate site at least until our networking is fixed (and maybe indefinitely). The redirector will automatically take you to the new address. The direct link to the new address is

Please let me know if you experience any goofiness.


just installed this on win7

system according to instructions.

a small box comes up telling me it's been updated so i guess it works ok

"No one man can terrorize a whole nation unless we are all his accomplices." - Edward R. Murrow

Thank you!

That was exactly the problem, and the fix! I can't thank you enough for sorting this out so quickly. Cheers!

Avoiding UAC in Windows 7

I installed a virtual copy of Windows 7, and while ClamWinPortableDBUpdate seems to work in W7, it does trigger the UAC. To avoid the UAC, I tried using the method described at and it seems to work. (In summary, you create a task with elevated privs that executes ClamWinPortableDBUpdate and then create a shortcut to it.) This only works for fixed installations.

You can change the icon used by the shortcut to the ClamWinPortableDBUpdate icon by right-click->Properties->Change Icon... and navigating to the ClamWinPortableDBUpdate executable.

I stopped Windows programming just as Vista came out and so never got on board with UAC stuff. If someone has a pointer to a "real" fix to the UAC triggering I'd be much obliged.


so far

disabling UAC works for me. but some people are not smart enough to have it left disabled which is why UAC exists in the first place.

if you are Savy enough disable UAC and ignore Windows' cries that UAC is disabled.

but the cries are so very

but the cries are so very annoying. Windows 7 UAC is ot so annoying as vista was, and I haven't really had any problems with it.

Too many lonely hearts in the real world
Too many bridges you can burn
Too many tables you can't turn
Don't wanna live my life in the real world