Application: Arx Fatalis
Description: Arx Fatalis is an open source first-person role-playing video game by Arkane Studios.
Arx Fatalis Portable 1.21 Development Test 1 Launcher [0.49MB download / 0.32MB installed]
Development Test 1 (2011-12-10): Initial release
- PA Launcher 2.2 Beta 1
Arx Fatalis is a trademark of Arkane Studios.
The portable launcher for Arx Fatalis comes as is i.e. the Arx Fatalis role playing game itself is neither included in the launcher package nor is there an online installer provided for it. To transform an installed version of Arx Fatalis into a portable one, several steps are involved which are described in the following.
- Install your legal copy of Arx Fatalis onto your PC.
- Apply the latest official patch V1.21 issued on January 14th, 2011. Patch to be downloaded from here. There are different language versions of the patch. Apply the adequate one.
- As users still report glitches with the walking speed of the character it is suggested to apply an unofficial patch with performance and bug fixes to be found here.
- Start the game and adjust the settings. They can be adjusted later also when portabilized. Check out if everything is working properly.
- Copy the contents of the Arx Fatalis game folder to the portable launcher's game folder <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\App\Arx Fatalis
- Uninstall Arx Fatalis from your hard drive.
- Copy folder structure from within <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\App\DefaultData to <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\Data. If you forget this the launcher will do that for you on the first run.
- Move <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\App\Arx Fatalis\cfg.ini file into <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\Data\userfiles\config folder. But beware: if you do not do that the default cfg.ini file will be used. In this case it may happen that you can not see the game's main menu text. Then you need to close the game via the task manager and either overwrite the cfg.ini file with your own or change the default language in the first line of the cfg.ini to match your game installation's language. Additionally back up your cfg.ini file.
- Move <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\App\Arx Fatalis\Save folder into the <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\Data\userfiles\savegames folder. If you have existing save games then copy the files into the <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis Portable\Data\userfiles\savegames\Save folder. Beware: your existing/old save games might not work if they were created under a different version than V1.21.
- Fire up Arx Fatalis Portable by using the launcher ArxFatalisPortable.exe in the portable folders main directory or by using the entry in the PortableApps.com Platform if you moved the Arx Fatalis Portable folder into the Platform's PortableApps subfolder.
Note: The launcher leaves an entry in the registry behind:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\Hansa (TrueType) => <Drive letter>\<Path to the portable folder>\Arx Fatalis\misc\Arx.ttf
I do not have a clue how to delete it.
Compatibility: The latest version of the Arx Fatalis role playing game is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP (32 Bit), Windows Vista (32 Bit) and Windows 7 (32 Bit). For Windows Vista and Windows 7 compatibility the official patch V1.21 should be applied. The Arx Fatalis Portable Launcher has been tested by me under Windows XP (32 Bit) and Windows 7 (64 Bit).