Application: R Portable
Description: Some things you might want to know about R if you are encountering it for the first time:
- R is (according to the description at http://www.r-project.org/) "a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics"; you can think of it as a combination of a statistics package and a programming language.
- R is completely free; you do not have to pay for it, and you can make any modifications you want to it
- R runs on Windows, MacOS, Linux, and many Unix variants
- R is not supported by any commercial enterprise, but it has a very active development community, and there are companies that offer training courses etc.. The manuals are complete and there are many books on it.
- R has an enormous number of standard and cutting-edge statistical functions built in, a wide variety of (free) add-in packages that add even more functions, and you can extend it further. Every standard statistical analysis can be done in R.
- R is mostly command-line driven (although various graphical interfaces have been developed); this makes it harder to use but allows flexibility and documentation and repetition of analyses.
People use R to analyze data in the fields (alphabetical order) of:
- ecology and environmental science
- electrical engineering
- genetics and genomics
- social sciences
and many more.
Download R Portable 3.0.1 [49.0 MB download / 83.3 MB installed]
R 3.0.1 (2013-05-21):
Updated R to Version 3.0.1
R 3.0.0 (2013-04-03):
Updated R to Version 3.0.0
R 2.15.3 (2013-03-04):
Updated R to Version 2.15.3
R 2.15.2 (2012-10-27):
Updated R to Version 2.15.2
R 2.15.1 (2012-06-22):
Updated R to Version 2.15.1
R 2.15.0 (2012-03-31):
Updated R to Version 2.15.0
R 2.14.2 (2012-03-05):
- Updated R to Version 2.14.2
- Converted to Portables 2.0 format
R 2.11.1 (2010-06-08):
- Updated R to Version 2.11.1
R 2.11.0 (2010-04-23):
- Updated R to Version 2.11.0
R 2.10.1 (2010-03-18):
- Initial release of R Version 2.10.1