This has been released. Thanks for testing.
I've just posted a release candidate build of the PortableApps.com Platform 1.2. This is a special release based on the upcoming 1.5 build that was put together sooner for distribution by OpenOffice.org at CeBit this week in Germany. As such, it's kind of an amalgam of 1.1 and 1.5, so it has some of the features of the upcoming 1.5 release but not most of them.
What's new in 1.2:
- App Icon Renaming (New in RC3) - You can rename app icons by right-clicking on them within the menu. In the screen that comes up, enter a new name. To easily reset it to the original name, you can leave the field blank and hit OK.
- App Icon Hiding (New in RC3) - You can hide an app icon by right-clicking on it within the menu. In the rename window, set the name to a single dash (aka minus sign). You can only unhide by editing the INI at the moment. A full GUI for hiding is coming in the next point release.
- Full PAF Support (New in RC3) - The menu now fully utilizes PortableApps.com Format in seeking out applications. All apps in PAF it will get their name and icons from the App\AppInfo files as dictated in the format spec.
- App Icon Hover Info (New in RC3) - When you hover over an app icon that is a PortableApps.com Format app, it will give you additional detail about the app including the version (display and package), publisher and main app name in the case of multi-icon apps.
- New Theming - The theming engine is now based on PNGs and it has alpha blended rollovers on app icons, folder icons and the eject and exit buttons. It will also use a square menu on Win9x since it doesn't support rounded forms properly.
- New Theme - We're debuting a new graphical theme that's a bit richer and darker colorwise as well as shinier. It looks more modern than the old one.
- New Folder Icons - New folder icons are placed on the Documents, Music, Video and Pictures folders based on the nuoveXT-2.2_KDE icons
- Language Switching - When you switch languages in the menu and then launch one of our apps like Pidgin, GIMP, Notepad++, VLC and others, the app will automatically come up in the language the menu is set to. This will make it easier for end users to use the platform. Any installers started from Options - Install a New App will also automatically come up in the proper language
- PNG Personal Picture - You can set a PNG image as your personal picture. The platform will assume it is alpha blended and remove the border. This way you can have your own image blend in perfectly with the theme.
- Aspect Wallpapers - The menu will automatically load a wallpaper called portableapps_wallpaper_wide.bmp when the screen is widescreen and portableapps_wallpaper.bmp when it is not, so your wallpaper will look good on any screen you wind up using.
- Fade Removed - The fade in and out is now off by default. You can manually edit your PortableAppsMenu.ini file in the PortableApps\PortableApps.com\Data directly and set FadeMenu=true to get it back.
- Hide Desktop Icons - You can have the platform hide the PC's desktop icons when running by setting HideDesktopIcons=true in the PortableAppsMenu.ini.
- Transparent Menu - You can have the menu appear partially transparent by editing the PortableAppsMenu.ini and setting AlphaBlendMain= to a number between 0 and 255. 255 is opaque. 0 is clear. 200 or higher seems like a good effect.
- Multilingual Installer - The platform now has a multilingual installer and will set the appropriate menu language based on your selection during install.
- Menu Updated By PortableApps.com Installers - The menu will automatically refresh when you install a new app using a PortableApps.com Installer even if you don't use Options - Install a New App
- Use Menu While Installing - When you install a new app by using the Options - Install a New App option, you can continue using the menu and your apps while the install is going on.
- Manual Renaming - The renaming function is included in this release but the GUI is disabled. So, you can rename apps by adding a section called [AppsRenamed] to your PortableAppsMenu.ini and then entries in the form: FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe=Firefox Rocks
- Manual Hiding - The hiding function is included in this release but the GUI is disabled. So, you can hide app icons by adding a section called [AppsHidden] to your PortableAppsMenu.ini and then entries in the form: thunderbirdportable\thunderbirdportable.exe=true
- Run As (Admin) - If you control click on an app icon, you're presented with the Windows Run As dialog so you can select to run it as another user. This is handy for apps like JkDefrag portable and for testing.
- Disable App Language Switching (Added in RC2) - You can disable the app language switching by adding a section called [Localization] and then an entry DisableAppLanguageSwitching=true to your PortableAppsMenu.ini
- Theme Font Color (Added in RC2) - You can alter a theme's font colors now
If you are upgrading from an unofficial menu or have unofficial themes installed, they may be removed. All users are encouraged to backup their data before installing to be safe.
Download PortableApps.com Platform
Download PortableApps.com Platform 1.2 Release Candidate 4 [1MB download / 1.2MB installed]
Please download, test and post your feedback!
- FIXED IN RC4: Rename isn't loaded at start for non-PAF apps
- FIXED IN RC4: English Locale file has an extra character (a 2) next to the word Exit
- FIXED IN RC4: Polish locale has too long entry in backup (new string in forum)
- MITIGATED IN RC4: Rename and About windows can be covered by form if all lose focus and then gain back though less noticeable on About since it is screen centered
Release Candidate 4: Fixed renaming not persisting between runs of non-PAF apps. Centered rename screen to avoid menu blocking it if loses focus. Fixed Polish and other translations. Added Greek translations. Fixed bug in installer not detecting old menu running.
Release Candidate 3: Add Renaming and Hiding via GUI. Full PortableApps.com Format support. Additional info in app hover popups for PAF apps.
Release Candidate 2: Fixed Polish localization, removed phantom button bringing up Options, theme updates, ability to disable the app language switching