Sudoku Portable 1.1.7 has been released. For the unfamiliar, Sudoku Portable is the wildly popular puzzle game packaged as a portable app, so you can play on any PC. It has multiple difficulty levels, automatically saves your game and more. It'll even run from a CDROM. Read on for all the details...
Sudoku Portable has several great features making game play even more fun:
- Four difficulty levels (Easy, Medium, Hard and Impossible)
- Entry of possible solutions for empty boxes (hold down shift and a number from the standard number row, not the numeric keypad)
- Automatic saving of your game on exit
- "Check Game" feature to check your current work
- "Solve Game" feature so you can see the solution to the current puzzle
- Resizable interface, so you can make the numbers as large as you'd like
Portable App Fetaures
Live/CD & Read-Only USB Support - Sudoku Portable supports running from a CD or other read-only media right out of the box, making it even easier to carry with you and use on other systems. Just be sure to run it once before burning it to CD. Full details are in the support topic on Running from a CD.
In-Place Upgrades - Sudoku Portable supports the ability to do what we're calling an "in-place upgrade". This means that you can extract it right over an existing installation of Sudoku Portable without losing any of your settings or saved games and it'll Just Work.
Partial WINE Support - Sudoku Portable support installation and use within WINE under Linux/UNIX. Your settings and game will not be saved, though.
Grab a Copy
The new release of Sudoku Portable is available for immediate download from the Sudoku Portable homepage.
Updated: August 22, 2006
An updated version was posted that fixes a bug where you could edit the read-only cells.