PortableApps.com has released the PortableApps.com Platform 2.0 Beta 1, making it easier than ever to carry your favorite software with you. This test release adds a number of features including theme switching, custom themes, automatic starting of apps, favorites, app hiding, better performance and more. And, as always, it's all open source and completely free.
The PortableApps.com Suite 2.0 Beta 1 release is available for user to test from the beta forum release announcement. Please post testing-related comments there.
Please vote for PortableApps.com in the 2009 SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards.
What's New in 2.0 Beta 1
The PortableApps.com Platform 2.0 release includes a number of bug fixes and enhancements including:
- Theme Switching - Seven colors (Red, Bronze, Green, Blue, Violet, Black and Silver) are included with the PortableApps.com Platform along with the ability to load other themes in PATheme format (an example is included below).
- 120dpi Support / Missing Icons Fixed - The whole menu now properly supports 120dpi in Vista and Windows 7. There will be some visual artifacting (as with nearly all apps at 120dpi) but otherwise it all works as expected.
- Transparency - You can now set the transparency of the whole menu from 0% to 90% directly from the Options menu.
- Favorites - You can now move your most-used apps to the top of the menu (similar to Pin to Start Menu in Windows). You'll wind up scrolling a lot less.
- Better App Hiding - App hiding is now accomplished by right-clicking and then selecting Hide. The app is hidden instantly without the app list being reloaded as it is in 1.5.
- App Unhiding - You can unhide apps within the menu by right-clicking and selecting to Show Hidden Icons. Icons that are hidden are then show with a line through them. You can hide and unhide icons as you wish and then hide them again.
- Run / Run As Admin - Apps can be run or run as administrator from the right-click menu.
- App Load Progress Bar / Faster Menu Load - The menu will now load much faster and will then show a progress bar indicating how long it will take before it is done detecting all your apps.
- Uninstall Apps - You can now right-click on an app and select to uninstall it. It will remove the whole app directory after a confirmation/warning screen.
- Autorun Apps - You can now have apps automatically run when the menu loads. Just right-click on an app and select Automatically Start.
- Multimonitor Support - The menu's additional forms now properly appear on PCs with 2 or 4 displays
- Check Drive for Errors - Check your portable device for errors with just a click in the Options menu
- Improved Wine Support - The menu will now load a square theme on Wine and avoid the pink edges that appear. (A fix for the app icons loading without all colors is being worked on)
- Better Icon Refresh (and F5) - When refreshing the app icons, you'll get the same progress bar as when the icon first loads. You can refresh by selecting it from the Options popup menu, by right-clicking an icon in the app list and selecting Refresh or by just clicking F5.
- Hide Desktop Icons - The menu can hide the PC's desktop icons using a selection in the Options menu
- Visual Changes - The menu no longer uses bold fonts and has the start of font switching which will let it use Tahoma on Windows XP and earlier and Segoe UI on Vista and later to better fit with the rest of the interface.
- New Hotkey - You can show and hide the PortableApps.com Platform by hitting WIN-ALT-SPACE (all right next to each other) while it's running.
Installing and Upgrading
Whether installing or upgrading, with PortableApps.com, it's a snap. Just download the new PortableApps.com Platform 2.0 release and install it to your portable device's root directory. If you're upgrading, it will automatically detect your existing install.