You are here

portable thunderbird 2.01 localization

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
spuri
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 2006-07-30 14:03
portable thunderbird 2.01 localization

I was very happy when i downloaded the ptb201 release. I tried to upgrade my previous ptb1.5 to 2.01 but when i tried to localize i get errors Sad
I tried to localize your btb201 release but I got the same errors.
I downloaded the latest HU release from here
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-mozilla...
and copied to ThunderbirdPortable\App\thunderbird but i get this message at the bottom and the menu is missing.
menuitem id="FolderPaneContext-new"----^

I tried to install switch-locales-1.5.1.xpi also but final is the same.

How could I solve?
Thanks
spuri

John T. Haller
John T. Haller's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
AdminDeveloperModeratorTranslator
Joined: 2005-11-28 22:21
It's 2.0 Alpha 1

It's 2.0 Alpha 1... not 2.01. As in, pre-beta. Not for use other than for testing. So, no testing of localization has been done at all. The best bet for localization is to install the full version of your own language and then copy it in, as detailed in the localization instructions. However, Mozilla doesn't support localized builds for Alpha-level releases. Thus, Thunderbird Portable doesn't either.

Sometimes, the impossible can become possible, if you're awesome!

spuri
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 2006-07-30 14:03
hungarian localization

hello

do you plan to work on tbp localization? or if you could give me instructions where to look for the solution please help.

thanks
spuri

i get this message at bottom of tbp with localized tb in apps dir:
menuitem id="spell-no-suggestions"
------^
i tried this ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-mozilla... and ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-mozilla...

Leepa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 2006-07-13 06:13
Modified translation

Hi Spuri,

I have modified the locale file for you to get rid of the error you have specified.
I don't know if this version is error-free, you have to test it... Smile

The file http://leepa.republika.pl/hu.jar should be copied to your thunderbird\chrome directory (in portable version: ThunderbirdPortable\App\thunderbird\chrome).

The problem was that some strings was missing in the locale files.
As I can see, locale file (hu.xpi) on mozilla FTP is dated 12th of October whereas the newest builds are as old as one day (not only hungarian traslation is not up-to-date). This thunderbird-2.0a1.hu.win32.zip build should however work as the whole package is dated 12-10, though it probably has not been tested enough...

Generally speaking, you should contact hungarian translators to update the locale for TB.

Hope this will help Smile

Best regards,
--
Leepa

--
Leepa

spuri
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 2006-07-30 14:03
thx

thanks that works
so i only need to hack the hu.jar if i would like to update
cheers
spuri

edit:

i still find problems but don't know what should i look for in jar files, i tried to compare hu.jar and en-us.jar but can find what line missing Sad

i am looking for older "working" versions but is seems to be not easy ;(

Leepa
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 2006-07-13 06:13
You welcome :)

Jar files are just zip archives - you can open them with any archiving application.
In this file you will see number of folders and files in them.
Try unpacking both en-US and hu jars and then compare the .dtd files. It may be painful because every line in english file will differ from the same line in hungarian (due to the translated phrases). The lines order may be not the same either so there will be plenty of work Wink

If you find the red text in any window, similar to the above mentioned

<menuitem id="spell-no-suggestions">

then follow these steps:

  • in TB's CHROME directory search for files with .xul extension for the string in double quotas (spell-no-suggestions in this case),
  • open the file with this string (there may be more than one file) - in this case it would be
    content\communicator\contentAreaContextOverlay.xul

    file located in chrome directory and in comm.jar,

  • at the beginning of the code there should be line like this (or more than one):
    <!DOCTYPE overlay SYSTEM "chrome://communicator/locale/contentAreaCommands.dtd" >

    which tells you that the localized strings are in the specified .dtd file,

  • compare this dtd file (will be in hu.jar) with the english one to see if there are any lines missing, add them and repack again,
  • start application and voilla Smile

Remarks:

  • System won't let you save the file while application is running and using this file,
  • If you look at the .xul file (I will show you on the same example), look at line 75, you will see the string that showed in red earlier.
    Look at line 77, the string after label "&spellNoSuggestions.label;" tells you that in dtd file there should be an entity with the same name (without "&" and ";") along with the translated string.
    The above paragraph shows how localization works in Mozilla products.
  • Last but not least: to edit any of .xul or .dtd file you need UTF8 capable editor that can save files with UTF8 encoding but without BOM signature.

Hope this is understandable enough - I rarely write such long and complicated instructions Wink

If you have any questions, please ask Smile
--
Leepa

--
Leepa

Topic locked