I'm using LibreOffice 4.4.0 now and found several bugs in the packaged version. I didn't check how the packaged version was packaged.
I'm using the German version. It was updated from 4.3.4 to 4.4.0.
Same bugs occured there.
>1st: unable to change language (was set wrong in PortableApps Launcher)
steps to retry:
Open LibreOffice Portable=>Extras=>Options=>Language Settings=>Languages=>User interface: German to English=>OK
There is a window that tells me to restart LibreOffice. If I close LibreOffice Portable and restart it, the language is still German.
I created a new database in LibreOffice Base, opened Tables in the navigation on the left and clicked on "Create a Table in Design View". The title bar contains Chinese or Japanese chars now.