PortableApps.com is proud to announce the PortableApps.com Platform 16.0 Beta 1 release. This beta adds support for automatic drive letter mapping of UNC paths, pin to taskbar for compatible apps in PortableApps.com Format, platform logging to help diagnose issues, an updated Options window with more room to add more features to the UI, and the Hindi locale. Read on for all the details...(permalink)
Existing Platform users can automatically update by clicking Help - Check for Updates if they have selected to receive Beta updates within Options - Advanced.
New in 16.0 Beta 1
This beta adds support for automatic drive letter mapping of UNC paths, pin to taskbar for compatible apps in PortableApps.com Format, platform logging to help diagnose issues, an updated Options window with more room to add more features to the UI, and the Hindi locale. Full details on all versions are in the PortableApps.com Platform changelog.
As always, the PortableApps.com Platform is packed with great features like:
- Automatic App Closing - Closing down and getting going is easier than ever with the platform automatically (and safely) closing your running portable apps and letting you know which ones need to be closed before you eject and finish syncing your cloud drive. Luthfi Harahap was kind enough to re-license some of his code to help with this feature
- Awesome Themes - The modern default theme matches well with Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 and all your favorite classic themes are included as well.
- Cascading Tray App Menu - Get quick access to all your apps with a right click in the system tray
- Always-Ready Search - The app search box is always visible and ready by default, so you can open the platform - possibly with the CTRL-ALT-SPACE hotkey - and just start typing to launch your favorite app. You can even search in app descriptions if you'd like by ticking a box in Options
- Proxy Support - The connections tab in Options lets you automatically or manually configure the platform to work with your internet proxy
- Full Featured Installer - The Platform installer can detect and install to your portable devices, synced cloud directories, local machine, and more
- Fast Updater / App Store - Quickly check for updates to your existing apps and find new ones by name, category, release date, and more
- Eject or Power Off - For local users, the eject button automatically switches to a shutdown/restart/log off button, bringing up the Windows prompt to select your choice. You can also right-click on the button to select to show either eject or shutdown/restart/log off.
- Portable Fonts - Take all your fonts with you and use them in all your portable apps
- Organize Your Apps Your Way - Use the default of favorites and most used apps with all apps by category on the second page or switch it up by selecting alphabetical apps, categories and favorites by default, and other options
- All the fixes and features are details in the PortableApps.com Platform Changelog
Next Version, Translators Needed
We're starting work on the next major release and we'll be releasing a beta in the near future. We'll be going over the list of requested features and bugs to prioritize the additions and fixes in the next couple releases including things like JAVA/.NET apps, automation and batch file handling, custom themes, custom app icons, and how to handle Windows 8 and 10 breaking portable file associations. We'll be needing more translators watching the beta channel and translating the few new features in this release. We'll also be releasing an updated version in the near future with updated translations to get better translations into the hands of users faster.
Ongoing Donation Drive
PortableApps.com needs your help to keep bringing you great software! To learn more, read a personal appeal from PortableApps.com founder John T. Haller. Now you can sponsor the PortableApps.com Platform and help us keep delivering awesome software for free. With options ranging from having your name included to a full-blown site-wide sponsorship, there's a good fit for everyone. Sponsor us today and be a part of the action!
We also accept donations of any size to help with development and hosting:
Discussing The Release, Enhancements and Bug Reports
As there is much to discuss with this new release, we've separated out a few forum threads for discussing:
- Platform bug reports
- Default app organization settings and "smart" list sorting
- Language updates and changes
You can download the new version of the PortableApps.com Platform from the beta download page. Get it today!
Please note that any bug reports and feature requests go in the PortableApps.com Platform Bug Report and Feature Request Tracker.