This is a follow on from a post I did over at https://portableapps.com/node/16702 , where I said I'll do an experiment to try & trim down OOo3
Don't know if EVERYTHING still works OK but each program (Writer/Impress etc) does start up with no errors
But I thought I'll stick it in a different thread as it's a little long winded & I don't know anything about making a portable package for this
Based on MarkoMLM 'Option pack BETA 2 for OOoP 2.3.1 REV2' @ https://portableapps.com/node/10588
- I've compared to what this removes from OOo v2.3.1 & done the same thing [manually] with OOo 3 portable
(the 'Option pack' is NOT compatible with other versions)
[& Boy did I have fun trying to find a v2.3.1 copy of OOoP to try it out on]
Note that filenames & folders are different between versions, what's shown below are the v3 versions
* Installed OOo 3 portable from https://portableapps.com/node/16395
* Started 'OpenOfficePortable.exe'
* In 'Tools' > 'Extension manager' > removed all languages EXCEPT English
* In 'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Java' > Disabled JAVA
[don't know why but JAVA keeps getting enabled each time I start OOo 3 up]
* Closed OOo 3 portable
* Deleted folder '\App\openoffice\Basis\Program\Python-core-2.3.4' [8.27Mb]
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\mailmerge.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\officehelper.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\pythonloader.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\pythonscript.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\uno.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\unohelper.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\python23.dll'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\pythonloader.uno.dll'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\pyuno.dll'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Program\pythonloader.uno.ini'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Share\Registry\modules\org\openoffice\office\scripting\scripting-python.xcu'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Share\Registry\modules\org\openoffice\office\scripting\writer\writer-javamail.xcu'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Share\Scripts\python\Capitalise.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Share\Scripts\python\Helloworld.py'
* Deleted '\app\openoffice\Basis\Share\Scripts\python\pythonsamples\tablesample.py'
* Replaced all fonts in '\Apps\Openoffice\Share\Fonts\Truetype\' with those from OOo 2.3.1 [6.99Mb to 680Kb]
- I actually think we can get rid of all but the 'open__.ttf' fonts
* Deleted all in '\app\openoffice\share\uno_packages\cache\'
[note this is recreated on OOo restart but size reduced from 46.7Mb to 48Kb]
Other possible deletions
* Delete all '*.otp' from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\template\en-US\layout\' [saves ~7.06Mb]
* Delete all BUT 'en-GB' and 'en-US' in '\Apps\Openoffice\Basis\Share\templates\wizard\letter\' [saves ~5.69Mb]
* Delete all sounds from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\' [saves ~2.85Mb]
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\' [saves 63Kb]
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\bullets\'
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\htmlexpo\'
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\rulers\'
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\www-back\'
* Delete all graphics from '\App\openoffice\Basis\share\gallery\www-graf\'
[all deleted Saves ~1Mb - boy am I getting desperate now !!]
If you're VERY desperate for space
[note: DO NOT DISTRIBUTE WITHOUT LICENCES - this is for personnel preference only]
* Delete '\others\' folder & Help.html [~250Kb]
* Delete '\App\openoffice\licence.*'
* Delete '\App\openoffice\readme.*'
* Delete '\App\openoffice\thirdpartylicensereadme.html' [all deleted ~488Kb]
* Delete '\App\Openoffice\licenses\' [~87Kb]
* Delete '\App\Openoffice\readmes\' [~25Kb]
* Delete '\App\Openoffice\share\readme\' [~112Kb]
* Delete '\App\openoffice\Basis\help' [~26Mb]
Then I did a comparison between OOoP v2.4.1 'full' version & 'light' version (see the other post for links to these)
for differences to see if there was anything else that could be got rid of safely.
The only major difference I found I considered 'safe' was reduced 'help' files
OOoPortable 2.3.1 > Full= 218Mb / 'Trimmed'= 144Mb (after 'Optionpack') / Difference= 74Mb
OOoPortable 2.4.1 > Full= 240Mb / 'Trimmed'= 109Mb ('Light' version) / Difference= 131Mb
OOoPortable 3 > Full= 236Mb / 'Trimmed'= 163Mb (Manually with 'HELP' files) / Difference= 73Mb
OOoPortable 3 > Full= 236Mb / 'Trimmed'= 136Mb (Manually w/o 'HELP' files)/ Difference= 100Mb
I hope this info helps anyone with limited drive space & wishes to reduce OOoP3