We've just posted a major update to the PortableApps.com Installer as a pre-release test. Since there are so many code changes, we wanted to give it a little bit of a shakedown before releasing it. If all goes according to plan, it will be posted tomorrow along with the announcement of PortableApps.com Format 3.0.
Download PortableApps.com Installer 3.0 Pre-Release 1 [2MB download / 7MB installed]
The notable new features include:
- Online installers now download before performing any action on upgrades. On a download failure, existing install is untouched for upgrades, no partial install is done for new installs.
- 2TB+ drives supported
- USERPROFILE\PortableApps checked as automatic install location
- EULA moved to AppInfo (install wizard will automatically move it)
- RTF EULAs removed (error with suggested change to EULA.txt)
- plugininstaller.ini moved to AppInfo (install wizard will automatically move it)
- license agreement page switched from check box to just clicking I Agree
- Updated PortableApps.com branding and PortableApps.com Installer icon
- added "Run AppName Portable" to the finish screen (when used sans platform as that finish screen isn't used by platform users. skipped for plugin installers.)
- visual taskbar indication of installer building within Installer wizard on Windows 7 (useful for devs who build a lot of bigger installers in the background to know when they are done)
- error on attempting to install to Program Files or Program Files (x86)
- Support for 2nd copies of apps for advanced users when installed with the /COPYNUMBER=2 commandline option (more on this later)
- Switched to current inetc plugin from our older custom one, fixing some issues with online installers
- Updated to current NSIS unicode build
- Ability to right-click on the taskbar and select "Close Window" to close an installer when finished and the installer wizard when finished
As a test, I've packaged up a Google Chrome Portable 18.0.1025.151 Test Release to allow folks to try out the new online installer features.
Please give everything a try and report back with any issues you find. Thanks!
PS - On a related note, please give your thoughts on File Assocations and Formats in the PortableApps.com Platform in this thread as well.