Firefox Portable Latest Online Installer
This is a special build of Firefox Portable which makes use of the topics and development discussions for the selectable
x86_x64 installers. This variant of Firefox portable shows the practical uses for Dual Mode Launchers, Hybrid Installers, and how to deal with trying to launch a 64-bit application on a 32-bit machine.
Another nice implementation I added during installation is I allowed the end-user to specify which version of Firefox he/she would like to install. The default option (
latest) for this is already in place so if the end-user isn't sure they can just click on the Next button to move on. If the end-user wishes to install an older version of Firefox, than they can enter their desired version and that version of Firefox will be installed instead. This is especially useful for those who would like to revert to an older copy or if they'd prefer to install Firefox ESR or even the beta versions. This makes it even easier to install the nightly builds of Firefox as you only need to rerun this installer and input the version to download and install.
This version also was built using PAL. It was built using my modified version of the PortableApps.com Launcher but this just goes to show that Firefox can be ported over to use the official builds of PAL. It would just need some to make use of the
custom.nsh file like this one does. I've also included the
PortableApps.comInstaller.nsi script file for review. It can be found in the ..\FirefoxPortable\Other\Source\Installer directory.
- Firefox Apps are not portable! Which means they're not supported for portable use.
- Firefox Apps will install application-specific trash onto a computer.
- So be advised not to install any Firefox Apps!
- NPAPI is deprecated as of 2016: read this for more information.
- Firefox x64 does not support Java: read this for information.
- Silverlight x32 is incompatible with Hardware Acceleration: read this
- Switching the language of Firefox would require a reinstall with the language-specific Firefox. If you want this, than simply:
- Launch the installer.
- In the first screen select your desired language.
- Install and/or upgrade as normal.
- If the Launcher's language is incorrect, than edit
LocaleID=in the user configuration file (see below).
- Used the concepts and ideas from the discussion in this thread.
- When installing, the user is allowed to select which bit-depth they'd like to install:
- This version doesn't use a custom launcher script to work. I built this version using my modified variant of PAL and shouldn't be all that difficult to port over using the official PAL.
- When installing this version of Firefox Portable, there's a custom install page where it asks you to enter the version you want to install. To install the latest, stable build of Firefox, just enter latest or you can specify a specific build version you'd rather download and install. Enjoy!
- To upgrade Firefox Portable, simply rerun the installer and enter your desired version of Firefox that you would like to download and install.
- Passwords are Portable.
- Extensions are Portable.
- Sync sign-in is Portable.
- Restarting Firefox Portable is supported.
Multiple profile support is allowed. To use a specific profile other than the default, make sure that Firefox Portable is not running and simply:
- Open the launcher configuration file (
FirefoxPortable.ini), located at:
- Edit the
CommandLineArgumentskey under the
- From: -profile "%PAL:DataDir%\Profile" -no-remote
- To: -profile "%PAL:DataDir%\NEWPROFILE" -no-remote
- Where: NEWPROFILE is your desired profile.
- Save the launcher configuration file (
The following locations are searched for Firefox plugins.
You can add additional plugin locations for the launcher to scan for.
- Open the launcher configuration file,
FirefoxPortable.inilocated in the folder ..\App\AppInfo\Launcher
- Add your desired directories to scan underneath the
[Plugins]section in numerical, sequential order.
[Plugins] 1=X:\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Ghostscript 2=X:\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Silverlight 3=X:\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Silverlight64
FirefoxPortable.iniand relaunch Firefox Portable.
User Config File
The optional user configuration file includes the following settings:
[FirefoxPortable] AdditionalParameters= PurgeCaches=false RunLocally=false SafeMode=false Console=false Private=false LocaleID=
AdditionalParameters= Pass additional command-line switches.
false] Application is copied to and executed from
false] Launch Firefox with extensions disabled.
false] Launch Firefox starting with debugging console.
false] Launch Firefox in private browsing mode.
LocaleID] The Launcher's internal language. (ie. MessageBox, Alerts, etc.)
Download removed by mod JTH for trademark violations
- MD5: 65ACB9100BE055106E0EA1F7B22DC3B1
- CRC32: D72F0886