Many of the most common issues that arise when using Audacity Portable are addressed here. Please read through the various topics to see if any of them address your question. You can also post a question in the Audacity Portable Support Forum.
Audacity Portable-Specific Issues
- Installing Audacity Portable
- Using Audacity Portable
- Upgrading Audacity Portable
- Adding LAME MP3 and FFMPEG Support
- Change Audacity Portable to Another Language
- Running from a CD (Audacity Portable Live)
- Known Issues
- Modifications - A list of the modifications made to Audacity in this package
- Version History
General Audacity Issues
To start up Audacity Portable, just double-click AudacityPortable.exe file where you installed Audacity Portable on your portable drive. Then, use it just like you would a local copy of Audacity. There are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- Stay Safe - When using portable apps, it's always a good idea to practice Safe Portable App-ing.
- Removing Your Drive - When you're done, exit Audacity and then wait for the activity light on your removable drive to stop flashing. Then select the 'Safely remove [device]' option from the icon in the system tray. If you remove the drive while it is writing, you may lose data.
To upgrade to a newer version of Audacity Portable, just download a new copy and unzip it to your portable drive, right over the previous version. Your settings will not be altered.
Add LAME support by downloading the Audacity Portable LAME Plugin 3.99.3.
To add FFMPEG support to Audacity, download the alternate zip for Windows package from the Audacity website and unzip it. Extract all files to AudacityPortable\App\FFMPEG. After starting Audacity Portable, go to Edit - Preferences. Select Libraries. Click Locate under FFmpeg Import/Export Library. A box will appear saying that the library has been automatically located and asking if you still want to locate it manually. Select No. Click OK in Audacity preferences.
By default, Audacity Portable is set to English. To change to another langauge, start Audacity Portable as normal. From the main menu, select Edit and then Preferences. Then click the Interface tab. From the dropdown, select your language of choice and then click ok. Close Audacity Portable and then start it again for your change to take effect.
Support for running from a CD is built into Audacity Portable. Just extract it to a local drive and run it at least once to generate a set of default settings. Next, make any configuration changes you'd like. Finally, burn the whole AudacityPortable directory to CD being sure not to change the locations of any files.
The following are known issues with this package:
- Trojan/Virus detected - AntiVir and Avast, on more than one occasion, have claimed there is a trojan or virus in the launcher. This is due to poor trojan detection in both products that will occasionally mis-identify many NSIS-based applications as trojans. It will usually occur after a definitions update. You should contact your antivitus provider and let them know of their mistake.
I made some modifications to the default version of Audacity to make it more USB key friendly (decreasing total install size and the number of writes to the drive, which will increase drive life). These changes are listed here so you'll know what they are, and so you can recreate the process, if so desired.
- Friendly Launcher - Audacity Portable launcher is included. It automatically handles your registry settings.
- EXEs and DLLs Compressed - All EXEs and DLLs were recompressed using UPX. This gets our installed size down to one that is a bit more manageable. The options used were: --best --compress-icons=0 --nrv2d --crp-ms=999999 -k
- Local Temp - The temp directory is placed on the local PC within the %TEMP% directory. If there are no problems, it is removed when you exit Audacity Portable. If Audacity does not close correctly, you will be asked whether you would like to delete the files or leave them so you can restart Audacity Portable and attempt to recover your work.
- 1.2.6 Rev 2 - February 28, 2007
- Imrpoved first run handling
- better temp file cleanup
- prompt to associate AUP files disabled
- 1.2.4b - September 13, 2006
- First wide-scale release
- Added intelligent shutdown relating to TEMP files
- Fixed issue with registry plugin remaining on local PC
- 1.2.4b Pre-Release - August 20, 2006
- First public release