sync, backup and secure, all in one place
Toucan is a custom built portable app for advanced users to synchronise, backup and encrypt their data, wherever they are.
Toucan works best with the PortableApps.com Platform
Development Hiatus: Toucan is currently on development hiatus. We are seeking interested developers to continue on. It's written in C++, released under the GPL and the code is available in Mercurial. Interested developers should post in the Toucan forum.
Toucan is a small utility allowing you to synchronise, backup and secure your data with more options than the built in suite utilities. It is split up into 7 tabs, allowing you to easily find the function that you want. This version features:
- Five synchronisation modes, Copy, Mirror, Equalise, Move and Clean. These can be combined with a variety of file checks such as File Size, Modified Time and a File Header Check to minimise the amount of copying needed.
- Backup and restore in industry standard Zip, 7-Zip and GZip files, with support for complete backups, updating existing backups and differential backups, as well as restoring files from an archive. Automatic testing of created archives is also supported as is password protection.
- AES-256 encryption using ccrypt.
- A complete command line system allowing you to create new jobs and run existing ones from the command prompt or a batch file.
- A Rules system that allows you to easily exclude files based on their name, a regular expression, their modified date or file size.
- An advanced scripting system using the Lua programming language that allows complex scripts to be created, anything from a backup script that automatically uploads new backups to a script that synchronizes your files to a USB drive and then encrypts the sensitive files in case of loss.
- A large collect of in built Variables for basic functions such as the date and time or more complex variables that point to the drives label or documents directory. You can also define your own as short cuts to paths on your USB drive or your PC.
- Many other features such as support for the new Windows 7 taskbar, full drag and drop support and translations to many languages.
Helpful Tip: On some screens, you need to highlight more than one cell in a row by clicking and dragging to be able to remove that row.
For help getting Toucan up and running please see the built in manual or visit Toucan Support:
If you can't find the answer to your question just post in the Toucan Support Forum.
- Publisher: PortableApps.com (Steve Lamerton)
- Date updated: 2013-01-24
- System Requirements: Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8, Wine
- License: Free / Open Source (GPL)
- Source Code: Toucan, 7-Zip, ccrypt
- MD5 Hash: dd8d69f11c2960e88c54279880a0dfc5
- Downloads: over 1.3 million