This package has been updated. Please see here:
I've just posted a beta update of the PortableApps.com Platform (formerly, PortableApps.com Suite Base). This includes an updated PortableApps.com Menu as well as a new PortableApps.com Installer for the platform. This is meant to serve as, essentially, a quick maintenance release while we hash out the theming and functionality for the next full official release of the PortableApps.com Menu. It consists of the 1.0.2 Beta 3 release with some functionality and bugfixes from the upcoming releases backported to it so that we have a solid, stable release out there for everyone to use while we hack away at a new release and finalize a few things. Basically, it's a bunch of simple bug fixes and features resulting in a stable update that shouldn't need much testing and we can get up quickly so we can retire the 1.0.x release.
PortableApps.com Menu 1.1
The bundled PortableApps.com Menu includes some handy new features and bug fixes compared to 1.0.x releases:
- Draggable - The menu is draggable around the screen by clicking and holding on the PortableApps.com logo
- Localized - The menu has been localized into 17 different languages (see below)
- Tray Right Click - There is now a right-click in the tray to close the menu without having it show up again
- Global Hot Key - WINDOWS+P will show or hide the PortableApps.com Menu
- Wallpaper Swapper - Place a file call portableapps_wallpaper.bmp in your Documents\Pictures directory and the menu will swap it for the Windows wallpaper while the menu is running and swap it back when you're close it
- Video to Videos - By popular demand, the Video directory has become Videos. The installer will automatically adjust this for you
- Single Instance - Launching the PortableApps.com Menu a second time will cause the currently running instance to show
- Uninstallers Filtered - Files called uninstall.exe are ignored
- Keyboard Accelerators - There are now keyboard accelerators on all elements within the menu. So, you could quickly hit WINDOWS-P and then ALT-D to bring up your Documents folder if you don't have the menu up.
- Page Up / Page Down - In addition to the arrow keys and mouse wheel, you can now use the Page Up and Page Down keys to scroll your list of apps.
- NEW IN BETA 4: Personal Picture - You can place a personal picture in the menu (much like on Windows XP/Vista). It appears in the upper right. Just click it to change it. 48x48 pictures work best but it will stretch or shrink others automatically. Very large pictures may cause the menu to start slowly.
- NEW IN BETA 4: Remain Visible - If you add a line reading RemainVisible=True to your PortableAppsMenu.ini, it will remain visible even when you click off of it.
- NEW IN BETA 4: Start Minimized - If you add a line reading StartMinimized=True to your PortableAppsMenu.ini, it will start in the system tray without displaying.
- NEW IN BETA 4: Fade Menu - If you add a line reading FadeMenu=False to your PortableAppsMenu.ini, it won't fade in and out.
- NEW IN BETA 4: Start Position - If you add a line reading StartPosition= to your PortableAppsMenu.ini, you can select the position the menu starts in. The default is LowerRight but you can also choose UpperRight, UpperLeft, LowerLeft and Center.
- BUGFIX: autorun.inf - The autorun.inf in the root directory is now set with normal attribute so it won't confuse people
- BUGFIX: Settings Remembered - The menu now remembers your settings (font size, language)
- BUGFIX: Working Directory - Applications expecting to be run from their own directory will now function correctly
- BUGFIX: Low Color Menu Icons - The menu icons have been improved to display properly on 16-bit and lower color depth displays
- BUGFIX: Low Color Logo - The PortableApps.com logo will now show up properly on 16-bit and lower color depth displays
- BUGFIX: Default Browser - The URLs for support and search will now fall back to the PC's default browser if Firefox Portable is not installed.
Localization - 17 Languages and Counting
Thanks to the work of several people, the Menu is now localized into 17 languages. I had to modify a few slightly to add in some new menu options (like Language and About), but they should be pretty good. We'll need our translators to choose appropriate accelerator keys and look over the strings to be sure all is well.
The available localizations are: Catalan, Chinese (Traditional), Czech, Dansk, Deutsh, English (US), Español, Français, Gjuha Shqipe, Hrvatska, Italiano, Nederlands, Norsk, Polski, Português, Svenska and Türkçe.
There are some issues around unicode languages. Some, like Chinese, have alternative encodings for them, so I've encoded it in the hopes that it will work on a machine set for Chinese as the primary language. On other PCs, it will show up as random characters (it's the nature of the encoding). I'd appreciate some help on testing that as I don't have a PC like that.
In addition to the work I've been doing, both XRXCA and SmithTech are interested in working on the main tree PortableApps.com Menu. They've both come up with some unique features (and some damn interesting code) that, once combined, will produce a Menu that everyone can be happy with. (The current 1.1 release even uses XRXCA's code for handling multiple instances and dynamically adding to a menu as both were an improvement on mine.) We'll be flushing out how to work together once I get this release posted and SVN access setup correctly (by the way, could you please both email me your SourceForge logins so I can set you up).
The update is packaged in a new installer that should automatically detect your existing installation. I'd recommend backing up just to be safe first.
Please post back any feedback on your testing. I'd like to get this posted as a new release this week.
Known Issues / To Do List
I'm adding a list of known issues between beta releases that people find so that they don't get reported multiple times and so we can be sure and get them before the official release.
- BUG: Installer overwrites existing custom autorun.inf
- ADD: Ability to disable Personal Picture
UPDATE Beta 2: Fixed the Videos button not working bug and improved the tray menu.
UPDATE Beta 3: Re-fixed working directory bug.
UPDATE Beta 4: Fixed Video plural in localizations. Added INI options to start minimized, remain visible, fade and to select the menu's start position. Added a personal picture in the upper right with a placeholder.