I downloaded the "Standard" from https://portableapps.com/suite
I launched "Writer Portable", clicked on Help, and was disappointed to find version 2.0.4 Copyright 2000-2006 - I thought I had been promised 2.3.1
I clicked on Help > Check for Updates and was given
Incase it did not know where to find my portableapps, I moved it from my download folder to the root of the external drive H:\ in which the portableapps was already installed.
I double clicked. It seemed to know what it was doing. So very deceptive
It defaulted to change File Associations for me, but advised to cancel if I only wanted to evaluate - so I cancelled the check marks to avoid change.
It did not bother to confirm target destination - I thought that was a good sign.
Murphy's Law wins again.
This update to a portable application has
1. Changed over 6000 entries in my Registry;
2. Added 616 files to my Internal Drive C:\
3. Modified 3800 other files on C:\ - this includes the entire set of code previously validated and in use for NON-portable Open Office 2.2
Total Disaster, recognised because when installing anything I ALWAYS use RegShot to monitor what is being done.
Total Disaster, only mitigated by my habit of downloading what looks useful, BUT ONLY installing after I have made a disc image archive.
My Conclusions :-
1. Portable Open Office should NOT obtain NON-Portable updates;
2. NON-Portable Open Office should NOT pretend that it can be evaluated without commitment just by retain original File Associations - what good does that do if the entire previous code base is eliminated !!!!!!!