This post is motivated in part by my wish for true portability, but also because I've noticed some font degredation when exporting to pdf, which is very likely common to all OpenOffice versions.
There have been a few past discussions (here, here, and here) about how it is possible to include the OpenSymbol font in OpenOffice. In this case the discussion revolved around the neccesity of having this font to use OpenOffice's math symbols and formulas.
But can this be expanded to allow the auto-importation of Fonts? There could be two versions, (1) for those who want to use fonts that aren't by default on every computer and (2) for those who would rather use only their own, personal, set of fonts (I'd rather not have to scroll through whatever fonts the local computer happens to have).
Keep in mind that there are three common formats:
- Type 1, Adobe's original standard.
- TrueType, Microsoft's previous standard for Windows computers.
- OpenType, the compromise system and emerging standard.
So, hopefully any system would meet the following requirements:
- Be able to utilize all three type fonts
- Be easy to find and use. ie, be in the personal settings folder.
- Able to be toggled between add to local computer's fonts and use instead of local computer's fonts.
And since OpenOffice 2.0.2 is about to be rolled out (hopefully), this seems an opportune time to discuss.